Rough Frostbite on Big Comb

pine_lore

Chirping
May 18, 2021
Orange County, NY
Hey all, this poor dude has had a rough few days.

First, he seemed to be having circulation issue to tips and back of comb (getting purple-ish). This had happened in warmer weather but it ended up being very extreme two days of cold and bluster. I also noticed the tips going white.

Then he started getting blisters. And now they've popped. I've read I shouldn't touch an affected area, but I need to clean this up! I currently have poultry wound spray and blu-kote. Would either of these be good options for cleaning the wound?

Should I get in touch with the vet or can I help him out on my own? I already imagine this part of his comb is going to eventually fall off...just want to help avoid infection. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 11.24.53 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 11.24.46 AM.png

Really, I would not use anything on the comb. If it is above freezing or he is inside until it dries, you can use 2% chlorhexidene spray or Vetericyn wound spray. But it will heal on it’s own. It looks like he might just lose the back of his comb when it becomes rounded off, but he could lose some other tips. Don’t be tempted to rub or massage the comb, or to use ointments or creams, because those can also freeze, making things worse.

Really, I would not use anything on the comb. If it is above freezing or he is inside until it dries, you can use 2% chlorhexidene spray or Vetericyn wound spray. But it will heal on it’s own. It looks like he might just lose the back of his comb when it becomes rounded off, but he could lose some other tips. Don’t be tempted to rub or massage the comb, or to use ointments or creams, because those can also freeze, making things worse.
Thank you @Eggcessive ! I brought him to our garage for now to have some peace and quiet. I'd like to bring him back down to the coop+pen today or tomorrow but I'm not sure if it's the best long-term goal or not: we have one more above freezing day coming up and then we're dipping in highs in the 20s(F) for over a week.

Would you have any advice about whether I should get him back with the ladies (coop and pen are as prepared as I can get them for winter weather - tarps and ventilation) or keep him in our chicken infirmary for a while (a dog pen in the garage)?

Chickens do best with their flock. I would get him back tomorrow if possible. They get upset when alone and they will eat better with the hens. Use you own judgement. If you have another rooster or cockerel, I would never remove them because the other one might not allow him back.

Thank you both so much @Eggcessive and @aart. BYC and the wisdom of folks like both of you has been incredibly helpful for a beginner like me.

I am going to get him back out there today before the temps dip down again - at least right now the temps aren't so different from the garage so that helps. He's doing fine - other than the comb looking brutal - and I'd like to keep their hierarchy consistent. Thanks again for your knowledge and advice!

Back
Top Bottom