1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rough house behavior

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Lesliejean, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Lesliejean

Lesliejean Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2013
    I have two 7-month old buf orpington hens. Twice after cleaning the coop, they pulled out all the straw from their nesting boxes and pulled up the roosting bars. They seem to always be in good spirits but I was wondering if this is a behavior I should be concerned about. Also, when I pet one, she backs up to me and raises her rear toward me then stretches her wings and ruffles her feathers. Is this an expression of enjoyment or not? I'm new so I wanted to make sure I'm doing things right. Thanks for any advice.

2. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    They are new to laying so the nest behavior is normal. The second thing they are doing is called the Egg Squat here. It is the position a hen takes when the male mates her. It is completely normal too.

They will calm down soon.

3. Lesliejean

Lesliejean Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2013
    Thanks so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by