1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

rough muck growth?? on legs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by idee, May 14, 2016.

1. idee

idee New Egg

Jun 20, 2012
    Hi All, one of my road island reds has got all this dry muck on her legs, looks like dried mud,
    ( its not tho) Ive tried to peel it but only a few bits came of, none of my chooks have ever got this before, need help to clear it up, Washing..Peeling or medication???help needed, thanks for any help

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post some photos?
    Is it dirt or could it be scaly leg mites?
    Try soaking the legs in a warm bath for about 15-20min and then gently scrub the legs with a soft brush to see if whatever it is will loosen.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  3. idee

idee New Egg

Jun 20, 2012
    I will try to get pics at bedtime, to late now they are all out, I lock them up about 5.30 each eve, so will try, if it mites, what can I use to clear it, our feed store will be open tomorow (monday) so I could buy what i need then, thanks for help, will post pics asap..cheers Dee

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    There are several ways to treat Scaly Leg Mites. One of the easiest and cheapest would be soak the legs, scrub gently with a soft brush, dry the legs, then dip the legs in oil (vegetable, linseed, coconut, etc.) then slather on some vaseline or a+d ointment. The idea is the oil smothers the mites which are living under the scales of the legs/feet. The vaseline/a+d ointment will help seal the oil in. You may need to repeat the treatment a couple of times a week.

Here's a couple of links with photos and several "options" for treatment.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/03/scaly-leg-mites-in-chickens.html
    http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2015/04/natural-treatment-for-scaly-leg-mites.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by