rough navel-yolk coming back out and dried..question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nursebay, Dec 8, 2008.

1. nursebay

nursebay Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2008
    Inkster, ND
    I had a baby hatch out last night (early) and it had a rough navel. When I woke up this morning. Some of the yolk was coming out and is dried to the papertowel and stuck. The baby cant really move. I am afraid to touch anything for fear of killing the poor thing. What should I do?

2. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Doesn't sound good if the yolk is coming out--I don't think a chick can survive with a torn yolk sac--it needs to absorb that...I would wet the paper towel in warm water--be careful not to wet the chick's face, but get the paper towel good and wet and back in the incubator to stay warm.

3. trishok8

trishok8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2008
    Scituate
    I agree. It's tempting to want to see them early, but it's best left to mother nature.

4. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Yes get the paper towel WARM like brooder warm and get it wrapped around the little one. Chances are it is stuck to the paper towel and he is trying to move around and cannot because it is stuck to the towel, therefore pulling out his insides. get it warm and wet before it dies....

One thing I have done with my chicks when they are sticky and cannot open eyes, or move their wings is I take a small bucket and fill with warm water and put their little butts down in there and take water and wipe with my finger to loossen the sticky stuff, you might try this with the paper towel and it could loosen the towel enough to let him suck his insides back in. DON'T cut it off.

To keep their heads above the water I put their neck between my first and second finger and let them rest on my palm...It works slick!

5. nursebay

nursebay Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2008
    Inkster, ND
    Let me clarify, it hatched out completely on its own. I did not help it in any way. It was born early I guess because of the temps in the incubator, I really don't know. I have a hova bator genesis that regulates the temp on its own. It stayed around 101.

I have not taken the chick out of the incubator either.

6. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    101 may be a bit too too warm...I usually keep mine between 98-100. These thing happen sometimes--believe me, I've had my share of things like this! Do you have water in your tray in the incubator for humidity? Wet that paper towel(warm water), place him right back in and see what happens. Good luck! Keep us posted!!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by