rough night last night

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by horsejody, Jan 27, 2009.

1. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Last night my little dog, Leo, had two huge grand mal seizures. This morning he was still a bit off, having small focal seizures (that's when he can't control his face muscles or exhibits ocd behaviours). So it's back to the vet today. I was going to buy eggs today, but I have to pay the vet instead. Fortunately, Leo has health insurance, so we will be reimbursed in a month or so. Even if he didn't have the insurance, I would still take him. That little dog is such a treasure to me.

[​IMG]

2. Beau coop

Beau coop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    Jody,
    Sorry to hear this. I had a shih tzu that started having seizures when he was 15.

I hope the vet can help today!

3. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    Yes, seizures are hard on the dog. My sons vet gave him Phenobarbital for their little dog. Our own little "Widget" had seizures for years from a spinal cord injury. She also took meds daily until she passed away at a little over 17 years. I used to recognize when she was starting to have a seizure and just cradle her close to me, stroke her and talk to her until the stiffness went away. Then she would be ready to play again as quick as the seizure quit. I know she is running and jumping in a green field with flowers now chasing butterflies ,so I only miss her once a day now, when I'm with someone or by myself.

4. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    He is adorable...hope everything settles down for him soon...[​IMG] and a pat from me......

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Thanks everybody.

6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Awww Jody. What a sweetie he is!! I sure hope the vet can do something for his seizures. Prayers are with ya!
    Give him a little pat on the head...and a smooch from me.

7. cockadoodlemom

cockadoodlemom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
    I know what your going through and it is tuff. I had a min daschund who started having seizures when he was 2 and he had to take Phenobarbital 2x's a day. He was 11 yrs old when he passed away having seizure after seizure. [​IMG] I miss him so much and he lived longer than they thought he ever would. It is very scary and sad watching them so again I know your pain [​IMG]

8. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Sorry to hear that. I had an Italian Greyhound that bumped his head playing one day and ended up having seizures after that. My Ex and I were fortunate to have the only vet around that raised greayhounds and Italian Greyhounds, he totally understood our attachment and the dog.
    We ended up doing Phenobarbitol for the rest of his life. We were both so attached to the dog that when we got divorced we actually had "custody" written into our divorce papers, we each got him 6 months out of the year. After he was 9, I called off the custody, it was too hard on him. When it came time to "make the decision" my ex called me and we both were at the vet with him.

Praying for a quick recovery for your dog. [​IMG]

9. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    sorry, Jody! be well little Leo! [​IMG]

10. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Leo has adult onset hydrocephalus that causes the epilepsy. We are fortunate to know the cause. Most dogs are diagnosed as idiopathic epileptics, which just means they have seizures from unknown causes. Leo's head was scanned last year and the fluid pockets were seen by the neurologist. Thank God for doggie health insurance. He is treated with a steroid, called dexamethazone, to keep the fluid and swelling down. He was fortunate because it is extremely rare to find the hydrocephalus early enough to prevent mental retardation. We have been treating the cause up until now. I think he will need actual seizure meds also. Unfortunately, seizures have what is called the kindling effect. Once they have one, they will be prone to more regardless of the cause being treated. The vet explained that the damaged and excited nerves excite and damage more nerves every time there is a seizure. Therefore, the more seizures the more damaged nerves, and the more damaged nerves the more seizures there are. Hopefully, we can get this under control.

I know he is a dog, but please pray for Leo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by