1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

rough roo

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kyrose, Jan 17, 2010.

1. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    ive got a 5 month old beautiful black bantam cochin.hes got gold feathers around his neck and when the sun hits him hes got green in his tail.i love him to death but he is sooo rough with some of my hens.two of my cochin hen wont come off the roust cause he jumps them as soon as they get down.any possibility that hes just young and will grow out of it or am i gonna have to rehome him?
    thanks

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    How many hens do you have? Can you separate him out for a while?

3. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    about14 hens.i guess i could cage him for a while.what would that do?thanks for answering...

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I suggested the separation so maybe a hen would take charge a little bit- but with 14 hens, it may not work. Sounds like he has chosen his favorites and won't leave them alone. I had that happen with some of mine- I ended up having to give 3 hens their own pen, so the roo couldn't get to them.

Maybe putting some chicken saddles on the 2 hens would help?

By the way, my Bantam roos were all more agressive than my standard roos!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  5. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Quote:my frizzle cochin is a little gentleman.i guess ill just give him a few more days and see what happens..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by