Rough Week -- lost 3 chickens

SkyWarrior

Songster
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
Wilds of Montana
This week has been rough. I had to put down my one-eyed Barnevelder roo because he started spiraling downward to the point he wasn't eating and getting the unwanted attention of the other Barnevelder roo.
hmm.png

Then, I lost a chick a day after it hatched. No clue. I suspect there was a problem.

(GRAPHIC WARNING)
Then, today my chicken with a prolapsed vent was wandering around with her intestines hanging out and the other birds pecking at it. So, I had to put her down.

To make matters worse, Sid the llama had been acting sick, so I was playing phone tag with the vet. He started eating today, which suggests whatever it was may have passed.
idunno.gif

So, I'm thinking of popping some more eggs in the incubator. I'm down to 11 laying hens (at least 4 are molting), 5 pullets and 12 chicks. I have way too many roos (6) and need to cull at least one more.

Sigh.
caf.gif

Took me a year before funky stuff stopped to happen. Now I have only lost 1 chick in one year. No adults. You'll get there, just hang in there
thumbsup.gif

Sorry for your losses. Seems like the ones you like the best die off, and those extra roos are difficult to deal with. I usually hold them in a paper cone while DH wields the hatchet. I dislike killing things.:-(

Quote:
The problem I have is one of genetics. I want to keep all the roos except one because they have something to offer. I'm just sick about my only splash orpington having her guts ripped out.

It was nasty.
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom