Round 3 - Pullet or Cockerel

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by newlychicked, Sep 15, 2012.

1. newlychicked

newlychicked Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Our attempts to build a micro flock of 3 hens has been challenging - our "pullets" keep turning out to be "roos!" We hatched 15 chicks back in July and kept 2. We also got a couple of silkies of unknown sex. Shortly after they arrived, the older silkie started to crow. Oops. [​IMG] He went off with the other chicks to their home farm. Two weeks ago, I suspected one of the chicks we kept (my favorite of course) might be a cockerel. I posted here, everyone confirmed my fears, and he started crowing the next morning. [​IMG] He was traded out for his sister.

That brings me to Lucy. Lucy is 10 weeks old, from an EE roo and (Ancona?) - basically a mutt. My concern is the long green tail feathers growing in - the last time I saw those, the chicken in questions started crowing a week later. But don't these saddle feathers look rounded to you? Also, she is making the same noises the last one did just before he started to crow. Her comb is becoming a deeper pink - not outright red though. She is the alpha "hen" - the other two are very timid (especially the silkie - who I think is a pullet - no comb to speak of at 4 months so that's a good sign - - isn't it. [​IMG] She's also the dumbest creature I've ever known (said with love, of course - I really do adore her). The silkie roo we ended up with is sharp as a tack and is currently the top roo over the chicks we hatched - he only gets another 2 weeks with them until the chicks get moved to the main flock - and the silkie roo gets a rabbit as a friend - anyone think that will work? Guess it's my friend's problem, but I'd like to see him happy! I digress...)

So what do you think- pullet or cockerel? Thanks in advance for your input.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And for fun - Clarabelle (the silkie) and Sophie (who was another favorite chick - we're glad to have her back).

[​IMG]

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

In the last picture he looks so girly, but in the first, the comb is just too big to be a girl, and the tail feathers.. I'm going with boy.

3. SweetSilver

SweetSilver Chillin' With My Peeps

Those tail feathers are suspicious, but you are right in noting how round those feathers appear. I'm waiting for other people to weigh in and see what they say.

4. newlychicked

Jul 22, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Maybe s/he's confused?? [​IMG]

5. newlychicked

Jul 22, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Anyone else have any thoughts?

6. ChickMagnet207

ChickMagnet207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Maine
    That's a tough one but i'm thinking pullet

7. doubleatraining

doubleatraining Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    At 10 weeks old I'm going to have to go with late blooming roo.......

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    at 10 weeks of age you can't go by the saddles and the hackles. a cockerels hackles and saddles don't start to show till they are between 13-15 weeks old at that time those saddles may or may not change to the long slender pointed ones of a cockerel. the only thing that really says cockerel are the 2 sickle feathers of the tail other than that looks like a pullet right now. re post when the chick turns 16 weeks or older for a more accurate guess :)

9. Lots A Cluckin

Lots A Cluckin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    I am going to say pullet...I really see nothing that says roo to me...just because they have green in there tails does not mean they are roosters...I know my EE's tails got long like that at a young age also...but they are all pullets...but just to be sure I would post new pics in a couple of weeks...by then we should be able to give you a definite answer.

10. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    the only thing about the tail that says cockerel is the shape of the 2 sickle feathers color has nothing to do with it but again that's the only thing that says cockerel over appearance says pullet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by