Round 3, pullet poops in pain (video)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Larkspur88, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Larkspur88

Larkspur88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    This pullet has been pooping runny stools that were dripping out her butt at times and she seemed to be in pain and other times she seems constipated (I know constipated looks can mean they are just having runny poop and aren't actually having constipation) anyway I caught her behavior on video and you can see the stool in this shot just sitting at her anus like it won't budge. I can't figure this out. I've wormed her and was treating her for possible cocci.

http://cfs-p6.l3.fbcdn.net/214047/8...deo.l3.fbcdn.net&L3O=cfs-l3-snc6.facebook.com

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    why were you treating for cocci? did you see blood in her poop were you treating the whole flock? Can you add ACV to the water 1Tab. to 1 gal. and mix oatmeal into their chick feed/ reg. oatmeal not instant. I read that oatmeal helps with pasty butt which is basically constipation, so hopefully it will help your hen, this can still be constipation, plus when using strong drugs like for treating cocci, you need to give at least 3 days of probbiotics , plain good quality yogurt, plain kefir, and butter milk, to get the good bacteria back to normal in their gut.

3. Larkspur88

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    I noticed a bloody tinge originally and occasionally still do to her poop which was why I was suggested to her treat her for cocci.

I treated the flock in their water for about 3 days. (It's a young flock I was really afraid of overdosing and treating too long...some in her group are only a couple days old)

I can try giving them so yogurt or something and acv I can pick up at the store too. I actually picked up 4 newbies who had pasty butt. I had to sponge their butt down with soap and a wet cloth and so far they've been clean since. They were drinking the medicated water. Not sure how good that is for a 2 day old chick. [​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Are you feeding medicated feed to your chicks? if so then they wouldn't need to be treated for cocci, not the 2 day old ones anyway. I would get them some good quality yogurt that has all the probiotics in it. and feed it to them, if your going to feed this to the young ones then I would suggest you make a mash out of some chick feed and mix the yogurt in it. when my chicks were in the house I feed them kefir and chick feed every morning, they loved it. make it not real runny but wet enough that it's not dry. Just feed this separate, make enough that they all get a good helping, then put their reg. chick feed back. you might want to get some chick grit if your going to do this, it probably wouldn't be necessary, but I have read if they eat anything besides the chick feed they should have chick grit available, just spread some on the bottom of your brooder, that way they don't eat too much of it. have you seen the poop chart?
    http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  5. Larkspur88

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    Yep I saw the poop chart last time I asked questions. I have it bookmarked. [​IMG] I'm sure one day someone will be browsing my computer and will be like...what is this???

Thanks for the tips. The only reason I really was treating the babies is because the babies were drinking the older pullets water and it was easier than separating as she has become their guardian. They panic when I remove her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by