Round egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Okie Amazon, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    Is it common for new first-time layers to lay round and/or tiny eggs? I'm not sure if it was one of my RIRs, BRs or EE's, they are all about the same age, but someone laid a round egg on the ground by the coop, and then later I found a very tiny egg in the RIRs and BRs roost coop.

2. swmalone

swmalone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Northern Utah
    This is what my first egg looked like. It is the only one I have received so far and I found it a couple of days ago. It had a really soft shell but I'm hoping the layer pellets and oyster shell will help that.

[​IMG]

3. Chew593

Chew593 Chillin' With My Peeps

Totally common and totally normal. You might want to try some oyster shell now that their laying to thicken up their shells a bit. The small eggs are referred to here as "Fart Eggs" and soft shell are just that. My girls are well into their 3rd laying season and still give me a small egg once in awhile. Nothing to be worried about.

4. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Yet they show up from time to time even in older flocks...

[​IMG]

5. ksmith

ksmith Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Nor Cal
    Check out how tiny this egg is! I am guessing one of my yougins (4 months old) layed this egg? It looks just like a regualr chicken egg except really small. So is it even a chicken egg?

[​IMG]

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Such cute little eggs!! [​IMG] (well - not yours swmalone...lol). Yes - very normal for new layers [​IMG]

7. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    I thought it was probably a "normal" thing. Once those girls really get going we are going to be eatin' a LOT of eggy-weggs. The dogs will get their treats too! Right now we just have 4 mature Orps laying, and they are all we can usually eat a day.

8. EELover

EELover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    That's totally normal. Also expect double yolk eggs too. As the pullet's body matures and gets used to laying eggs, you will get weird eggs. Everything will straighten out and look normal. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by