Round or not?

casadezorola

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2015
For your roost, what type of construction did you use? Round dowels or 2x3 pieces? Are they supposed to roost on flat, narrow boards or round?

Thank you!

Yep, I figured why waste the money on lumber if I don't need it. I cut down a tree that was fairly straight, about 3-4" around, and lightly sanded any rough spots.

I have both. I have 2 round, but irregular, limbs out in the run - one swings, one doesn't. Both exceed 3-4 inches in diameter. In the coop, where they roost during the cold nights I have a 2x4 with the flat side up so they can sit on their feet and not spend the whole night trying to grip a round surface with cold tooties.

Last edited:
I have both. I have 2 round, but irregular, limbs out in the run - one swings, one doesn't. Both exceed 3-4 inches in diameter. In the coop, where they roost during the cold nights I have a 2x4 with the flat side up so they can sit on their feet and not spend the whole night trying to grip a round surface with cold tooties.
the wide side of the 2x4 up allowing them to sit on their feet and keep them warm also prevents frostbite
smile.png

I also use saplings or branches, bark on. Some of my birds roost in the rafters of the coop on 4" fence posts. All are fine. Dowels are too small and slippery compared to 'real trees'. Mary

Back
Top Bottom