Round-up sprayed where chickens scratch

emjacobs2001

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 9, 2013
Yesterday my landlord sprayed Round Up where the chickens scratch.
what do you think? How harmful is the stuff, he said it wasn't harmful.
The best I did was to keep them in an extra day, give it 24 hrs. to break down.

thanks

Monsanto has marketed Roundup as safe, but studies are showing harmful long-term effects of glyphosate when ingested. Around the world, birth defects, cancers, and digestive problems have been seen. In 1996, NY state sued Monsanto to prohibit them from claiming that their product was environmentally friendly and as "safe as table salt". Evidently, they did not claim any wrongdoing, but they have stopped making those claims (in NY, anyway). Here's a scientific study on the teratogenic effects produced by glyphosate. http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/carrasco_0.pdf

Science notwithstanding, I find it outrageous that someone would spray a chemical herbicide in an area known to be frequented by someone else's livestock and then brush it off as no big deal. What a jerk.

Last edited:
Greetings from Kansas, emjacobs2001, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us. Sorry your landlord sprayed the roundup. Sounds like countrygoddess gave you some great advice. Good luck to you!

Monsanto has marketed Roundup as safe, but studies are showing harmful long-term effects of glyphosate when ingested. Around the world, birth defects, cancers, and digestive problems have been seen. In 1996, NY state sued Monsanto to prohibit them from claiming that their product was environmentally friendly and as "safe as table salt". Evidently, they did not claim any wrongdoing, but they have stopped making those claims (in NY, anyway). Here's a scientific study on the teratogenic effects produced by glyphosate. http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/carrasco_0.pdf

Science notwithstanding, I find it outrageous that someone would spray a chemical herbicide in an area known to be frequented by someone else's livestock and then brush it off as no big deal. What a jerk.
Welcome to BYC. I agree with countrygoddess and wouldn't be eating any eggs from those hens for a long time.

If you can move them, I would. Half life of glyphosate in the soil is 60 days. If they have ingested any of the fresh Roundup, they may show signs of toxicity, including weakness, irritation in the mouth, difficulty breathing and possibly coma. And, yeah, I wouldn't be eating any of their eggs for a while if they've been in the area where he sprayed. =( Me? I'd wait a couple of months before eating any...

Back
Top Bottom