Round worms I have only 5 hens how much Wazine 17 should I use?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TXSHERIE, Jun 29, 2010.

1. TXSHERIE

TXSHERIE Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2009
    I need to deworm my 5 hens...Not sure how much Wazine 17 should I use?

2. chickenmom1

chickenmom1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    I use food grade diatamacous earth that I get from Mcmurray hatchery online. They are a wealth of information. Good luck.
    J

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You need to use 1 ounce of wazine to 1 gallon of water for all your chickens. Throw eggs away in the garbage for 2 weeks. Then reworm with a different wormer, like Safeguard, Valbazen or Ivermectin pour on.

4. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I would just go by the directions on the bottle---I think someone here said that it was one ounce per gallon of water. That would be the correct concentration, no matter the number of chickens. I think that has to be the only source of water for a period of 24 hours. After 24 hours have passed, you will want to replace the wazine water with regular water, and toss the eggs for two weeks. If it is just round worms, you may not need another wormer. I would watch the poo, and make sure that they are clear of the worms after using wazine.
    There are organic means of keeping chickens free of worms, but I am not sure exactly how successful they are. I don't think you can treat with those means, only prevent. Occasionally you will find an article on such preventions in Poultry magazine.

5. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Quote:dawg53 really helped me with my de-worming program I followed his advice and used the wazine then 10 days later I used safeguard it was easy an quick I thank you for your help again dawg53. Like you said I want the worms dead since they are killing the chickens. I will use DE and ACV as a way to help prevent worms in the future but once you have worms its best to just kill the worms and get it done. Also you might not see the worms in the chickens poop so its always good to use the 2nd de-wormer after the wazine also make sure to throw the eggs away for 2 weeks after both treatments good luck.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Thank you schellie:thumbsup

7. chickenmom1

chickenmom1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    FYI if you use the food grade diatomaceous earth, you don't have to throw away the eggs. Good luck.
    J

8. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    CAN i FEED THE EGGS(cooked) BACK TO THE CHICKENS?iTS SUCH A WASTE OF EGGS,OF COURSE THIS IS THE MOLTING SEASON SO i AM ONY GETTING A COUPLE EGGS ANYWAYS.

9. lotsablessings

lotsablessings Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    Panhandle of Florida
    Why is it that it's recommended to throw eggs away?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by