Round Worms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chilman, Aug 15, 2013.

1. chilman

chilman Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2011
    Today, I found a round worm in the stool of one of my little girls. Monday, I took this particular little girl to see the vet because she had been sneezing and it looked like she was panting. The vet prescribed an antibiotic for her sneezing and then gave me some Panacur Suspension so I could also de-worm her. When I found the worm today, I called my vet and was told that her passing the worm was a good thing and to continue with her meds. She also told me that I should de-worm my other girls and then de-worm them every six months. She told me I could purchase the Panacur Suspension on-line or at Tractor Supply & Southern States which would be cheaper than if I purchased it from her. I have spent all day looking for the medicine and all I can find is Panacur for either horses, cats, or dogs. Does anyone know where I can purchase Panacur Suspension on line? Thanks!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I was reading that it is similar to safeguard (fenbendazole)...you might try googling that too. Please double check this as I have never dealt with panacur.

http://www.pet-source.com/p-1342-sa...dftrk=gdfV23345_a_7c1185_a_7c3810_a_7cSFEGRDG

This is one place I read it...I have not ever ordered from that website and thus would steer you in the direction of jefferslivestock.com or flemingoutdoors.com (or mcmurrayhatchery.com or mypetchicken.com) for supplies...oh and calvetsupply.com if any of those have it. I have ordered things from all those websites and have been pleased.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenbendazole

You might try calling your vet to make sure that the dosage would remain the same...they may be different concentrations and thus it would be good to find out what he/she wants you to give.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Your vet gave you good advice. Look for Safeguard liquid goat wormer in the 125ml bottle. ChickensAre Sweet provided pics in the first link in her post as to what the bottles look like. The 125ml bottle isnt expensive. Jefferslivestock.com carries it if your feed store doesnt. Dosage for your birds is 1/2cc given orally undiluted to each chicken, 1/4cc for smaller birds. Use a syringe without a needle to administer orally. Repeat dosing again in 10 days.
    You can buy the equine panacur paste or safeguard equine paste to dose your birds. Give a "pea" size amount orally to each standard size chicken, a small "pea" size amount to smaller birds. Repeat dosing again in 10 days. There's a 14 day withdrawal period after the last dosing with either the liquid or paste.
    Worms can cause your chicken's immune system to weaken causing the respiratory symptoms you witnessed, requiring antibiotics. A regular worming schedule will help prevent this from happening along with practicing biosecurity. Keep in mind that most antibiotics given to chickens have a withdrawal period.

4. chilman

chilman Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2011
    Thanks so much for your info! Miss Effie has not been laying but some of the other girls have been and if we have to toss out eggs for a couple of weeks that is fine, better that than losing one of the babies. I will look into the other meds and websites.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Panacur and Safeguard are the same thing, both are 10% fenbendazole (100mg/kg). You'll find Safeguard liquid in the cattle or goat sections of most feed stores.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    -Kathy

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Curiously, how much did your vet tell you to give her and for how many days? FYI, you won't find Panacur or Safeguard labeled for poultry, but it doesn't matter, it's all the same, just make sure it's 10% fenbendazole. And ignore the directions on the bottle, horses, dogs, cows, goats etc. all get way less per pound than chickens do.

-Kathy

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by