Rounder has a friend!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duckville denizen, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Duckville denizen

Duckville denizen Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Texas Hill Country
    This morning, a couple was trying to release a young mallard mix on the creek, and she persisted in following them home. We took her into our back yard, and now Rounder has a buddy about the same age she is. We're hoping this will help Rounder locate her food, water, and shade, but neither of them knows they're ducks, so who knows? She also has beginning Angel Wing, so I must treat her for that. A blind duck and one with angel wing!!! What a pair![​IMG] Her name is Susie. Welcome, Susie, to Duckville!

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I hope they get along well. Who know how many ducks will end up in you back yard eventually.

3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Thank you for rescuing that duck! That is so sad, they're trying to abandon her and she just wants to go back home!

I'm glad Rounder has a friend now.

4. Duckville denizen

May 17, 2011
    Texas Hill Country
    Oksy! We've had Susie, Rounder's new friend for a day now. We went to the store and got some paper tape, caught her and taped her wing as described for correcting Angel Wing. Within 10 minutes, she had picked the tape free, and the wing was sticking out like it was originally. What did I do wrong? Do I make the tape really tight, and how can I keep her from picking it off? She is a really tiny little duck. I'm wondering now if she may be a gray call female, or it could just be that she hasn't had the nutritious feed that Rounder has had.[​IMG] I have been know to spoil my animals![​IMG]

5. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    They sound like they make a wonderful pair! I have yet to deal with Angel wing so I'm not help though [​IMG]

6. Duckville denizen

May 17, 2011
    Texas Hill Country
    So pleased! [​IMG] The couple who brought Susie to the creek came by this morning to check on her. Turns out, they had no other alternative, so they thought, but to leave her on the creek. We had a nice visit, and they were so appreciative of the fact that we had taken her in, offered to buy feed or whatever she needed, and promised to bring back their phone number. They will be checking on her, and in the meantime, we have a delightful new little girl in our back yard. Rounder's happy, we're happy, and her other parents are happy, too![​IMG]

7. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I'm glad that the other owners really did care about their duckling and weren't just tired of it or something like that. Any chance that they might want her back some day?

8. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Depending how long she has been WITHOUT niacin, you may be able to get her wing back to semi-normal by giving her niacin supplements or game bird starter from a feed store. The "other" owners should be able to tell you what she has been fed. Most likely, chicken food.

9. Duckville denizen

May 17, 2011
    Texas Hill Country
    From what they told me, she had been on starter feed before they got her. Someone else had bought her at a feed store and kept her until she was out of the "cute" stage, and then, they took her. With them, she has been on vegetable peelings, greens, and cooked rice. (I know that is terrible, but the man had lost his job, and they couldn't afford anything else.) I am feeding her non-medicated turkey starter mixed with some chicken scratch, plus fruits and vegetables. Of course, she loves watermelon. Do you still think some niacin would help with her wing?

10. Duckville denizen

May 17, 2011
    Texas Hill Country
    [​IMG]

Okay, you said this was a birdbath, right? Well, a duck is a bird, and I'm taking a bath, so what's the big deal? (Rounder in a photo-op at about a week old.)

[​IMG]
    Rounder at six weeks old, along with Susie, his new friend, enjoying a watermelon on a hot afternoon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by