rounding up chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by banditgin, Jul 20, 2007.

1. banditgin

banditgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Boonsboro, MD
    ARe chickens hard to round up? right now we have 4 and they usually are in their crate when its time to lock them up. We need to build a coop soon as they are getting a little big for the crate. But I want to build the coop knowing that we might get more (planning ahead).

So are they hard to round up? I'd like to do what we're doing now - lock them up at night, let free roam during the day.

2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Once you build your coop you keep them locked inside for about a week. Then let them out if they don't all go back in real easy then lock them back in the coop for a few more days. They should have the idea by then. Mine usually take a week. But last bunch need 2 extra days to get the idea. Good luck
    P.S. if I have one that don't want to go back inside I go get the butterfly net and catch her with it.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  3. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    shake some feed in the coop and they will come running

4. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    have a fish net as a back up! lol
    i have chased a few chickens, not fun torn a few shirts too! my husband dove for one even though we had the fish net then and he joked he thought he broke a rib or something [​IMG]

5. hisbride

hisbride Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2007
    GA
    If they are in the yard we don't even bother trying to catch them. They are way too agile. In the run it still is an effort but can be done. My husband is slowing becoming adept at it. I have seen folks use a net before.

6. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Has anyone ever used the hook on the pole? Not sue what the name of it is but you just snag the chickens leg with it.

7. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    nope, the net we use is pretty big and i try to be careful. because i am afraid i will hurt a wing or something. but shaking feed or something like that usually doesn't work for me. they act like they can't find the door and pass it right on by [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. banditgin

banditgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Boonsboro, MD
    well, I don't really want to leave them out as there are predators around (I've seen foxes by the neighbors farm and the other night a cat chased them on to our roof).

9. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    how old are yours?
    ours like to free range, but i don't want them doing it all day long especially if i have somewhere to go. because we have stray dogs and i have seen a coyote too and a fox. so that is why i got the net, they try to escape when i go to get eggs because they love to be out free ranging [​IMG]

10. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    When the hens are out free ranging there is no need to shew them in. They will go back by themselves when dusk approaches. Chickens can't be chased in, but if you can shew them in that is the correct process. It is done by extending your arms and working them slowly to the entry of the pen or coop. More than one person with treats in the coop or pen works every time.
    We have a special stainless stell pan that says treats by just bringing it outside. Chasing birds causes stress and is a failure every time... Easy does it every time...

bigzio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by