roundoworms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BamaLama, Feb 10, 2015.

1. BamaLama

BamaLama New Egg

Sep 27, 2014
    I found spaghetti thin worms in my hen poo; I assume they are roundworms and am treating with diatomaceous earth. This morning I found a "wad" of spaghetti lying in the nest with no poo around it. Am I to assume the treatment is working and is this contageous to humans?
    Is it ok to eat the eggs? What should I look for in the egg?Thanks...Cheri

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Sorry to say but DE will do nothing to help your chicken(s) with a worm infestation...

You will need Fenbedazole/Safeguard or Panacur to treat...the fact that you are seeing roundworms means that they have a large amount of worms in them...

I would suggest you start treatment asap and throw eggs away...after the initial treatment you will need to treat them again in 14 days..throw all eggs away for 28 days in total..

A worm infestation severely debilitates chickens and ultimately leads to death...once treated with a chemical wormer ( such as I suggested above ) your chicken(s) will show signs of better health in a few days...

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    DE will not kill any internal parasites...you need the proper wormer medication.

I don't know enough to advise what medication and dosage,
    but will ask that this thread be moved to the emergency forum.

Meanwhile..this search might help you find an answer:
    advanced search>titles only> roundworms

4. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    If you use safeguard liquid wormer for goats it's .05 ml per 2.2 lbs. Sorry that's as far as my dosing knowledge goes. But I agree DE will no suffice. I wouldn't even trust DE to take care of external parasites. Some swear by it, I see it as a waste of money. I have never had success with it.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That's the dose for goats, horses and cows (0.05ml per 2.2 pounds = 5mg per kg)... chickens need more than that to treat roundworms and cecal worms. [​IMG] The amount I use that was recommended by my vet is 50mg/kg, which works out to 0.23ml per pound. A one day dose repeated in ten days will treat roundworms and cecal worms, but will not treat capillary worms or gapeworms. Those need five consecutive days of treatment.

-Kathy

6. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Thank you for the correction Kathy!

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You're welcome! I'm always amazed by how different the doses between species can be.

-Kathy

8. BamaLama

BamaLama New Egg

Sep 27, 2014
    Ok; I sent my son to Southern States to get some stuff. I hope the label is easily understood; like how many days we cannot eat the eggs. I think the stuff is call Waseem...probably spelled wrong but it's the only stuff they have that is reasonably priced. Thanks for all your comments and help.

9. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Wazine will only kill round worms. It is a pretty safe bet that your hens also have many other types of worms also. You really need to treat them with Safeguard or better yet Valbazen.

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Safeguard liquid for goats is about $22. It looks like this:
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by