Roundworm Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by natgrinks, Jun 24, 2016.

1. natgrinks

natgrinks Just Hatched

Jun 22, 2016
    I have now noticed worms. I believe them to be roundworms. I treated their water with Wazine. How long until I do it again? Is this the best thing I can do or what is? Please let me know if you have any advice for me. It's greatly appreciated.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Wazine is for roundworms only, repeat treatment in 7-10 days, egg withdrawal is 14days.

You can take a fecal sample to your vet to have a fecal float test performed, they will be able to help you identify which type of worm(s) you are dealing with.

A "broader" deworming can be achieved with Valbazen 1/2 ml orally and then repeated in 10 days for each chicken or Fenbendazole (Safeguard, Panacur) at 1/4 ml per pound for 5 days in a row.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/11/control-treatment-of-worms-in-chickens.html

1 person likes this.
  3. natgrinks

natgrinks Just Hatched

Jun 22, 2016
    Thank you! If I just gave them Wazine can I follow up with Valbazen in 7-10 days? And how exactly do you administer it orally? From the pictures I've seen I'm fairly certain it's roundworm.

4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    If you are pretty sure it's roundworms, then follow up with the Wazine.

You can use the Valzaben, just wait the 7-10 days and then treat. Remember there is a withdrawal time.
    Orally, most people put the dosage on a piece of bread and give it to each chicken.

5. natgrinks

natgrinks Just Hatched

Jun 22, 2016
    Thank you! I am not sure what you mean by withdrawal time?

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    De-wormers and most antibiotics have a "withdrawal time" or egg throw away period. When you worm your girls you need to throw away their eggs for a certain period of time.

For instance the Wazine withdrawal time is 14days.
    If I understand correctly this is how it works:

Say you treat with Wazine then repeat in 7-10 days. So from the 1st dosage all those eggs throw away, then say you dose again on day 7, then you want to throw away for another 14days, so you would in total throw away eggs for 21days.

7. natgrinks

natgrinks Just Hatched

Jun 22, 2016
    Awesome! Thank you so much!

8. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    No problem[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by