Roundworm in hens? immediate help!

Dom95

Chirping
Mar 7, 2021
we’ve never experienced this with the flock before so we’re unsure what medicine to give them. We have safeguard goat dewormer but I’m not sure if it’s the right wormer for this.

typically we Apple cider vinegar/honey water them regularly and diatomaceous earth in feed but somehow they’ve developed worms we think quickly.

last month the flock had a hard fast molt and we were worried because they lost so much weight as well. About 2/3 weeks ago they got their feathers in quickly started putting weight on and seemed healthy and happy again. We’ve been checking the poop regularly but nothing. Tonight one of the girls pooped out a worm and it’s huge! We’re very worried how it’s so big and trying to find a quick treatment ASAP!! I can’t lose my girls!
Any and all help is welcome!
Thank you!

Attachments

• 42B2FE21-7E43-4745-9A7D-A2C8D1A5A1A1.jpeg
    42B2FE21-7E43-4745-9A7D-A2C8D1A5A1A1.jpeg
    782.8 KB · Views: 38
That's not a large roundworm. It's sloughed intestinal lining that looks like a worm.
Apple cider vinegar/honey and DE doesnt prevent nor treat worms. Once your birds are completely done with molt, go ahead and worm your birds with the Safeguard liquid goat wormer. Just for your information, capillary worms can be one of the causes of sloughed intestinal lining.

Use the Safeguard liquid goat wormer at .23 ml per pound of bird weight, 5 days in a row, that will treat capillary worms as well as most of the rest of the possible worms. That's what I would do. The other option would be to have a fecal test done, to see what's there.

The right half looks like an earthworm except for the flat spot on the left of it. Never seen a flat spot on an earthworm. Tough call. Can you slice it open and post a pic. I'm curious on that one.
Unfortunately we didn’t keep it and Neither have I. We have no idea how to treat it. Someone else said sloughed intestinal lining but this looks like a worm to me

The right half looks like an earthworm except for the flat spot on the left of it. Never seen a flat spot on an earthworm. Tough call. Can you slice it open and post a pic. I'm curious on that one.

Back
Top Bottom