Roundworm treatment and reincorporating with the flock?

menotti

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 25, 2016
Hi everyone! We had a bit of a scare with our ~8 week old buff orpington a couple of days ago: lethargic, didn't want to eat, etc. We separated her from the rest and initially self diagnosed what we thought was coccidiosis.

Long story short, later that day, we had a vet confirm this was actually a bad case of roundworms. Vet had a poor prognosis but put her on a 3 day treatment of Panacur (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=1457).

At the same time, we treated the other 4 in the flock with Wazine in their water.

This morning, after day 2 of 3 with treatment, the very sick hen is doing a lot better! She's drinking and eating pretty normally and is getting her energy back.

2 questions: (1) We're interested in how soon we can reincorporate (or, as my wife says, re-coop-erate
tongue.png
) the separated hen with the rest. Should we at least wait 1 more day until the final treatment of panacur? Or is now OK? Something else?

(2) Is it advisable to put these young chickens on a priobiotic stack for a certain period of time? Bought a small package but haven't used it yet. Will it interfere with deworming?

Thanks so much in advance!

Last edited:
I would go ahead and put her back in with the flock as long as she is not bullied or trampled. Or you can let her visit some supervised today, and put her back tomorrow. If one has worms they all probably do. Plain yogurt in small amounts addded to the feed a couple of days a week is a good source of probiotics to help with bowel health, and I would treat them this week several days in a row.

I would go ahead and put her back in with the flock as long as she is not bullied or trampled. Or you can let her visit some supervised today, and put her back tomorrow. If one has worms they all probably do. Plain yogurt in small amounts addded to the feed a couple of days a week is a good source of probiotics to help with bowel health, and I would treat them this week several days in a row.
Fantastic, thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom