Roundworms ? dewormer that's safe for hens laying eggs for us to eat

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brielin024, Apr 6, 2017.

1. brielin024

brielin024 In the Brooder

Jan 23, 2017
    I feel like I'm posting a lot lately and thanks for all the advice!
    So today I saw a large worm (dead) in the poop of my hen who's sitting on eggs.
    Went to the grain store and they sold me Wazine 17 but when I got home I read the bottle and it says not for chickens producing eggs for human consumption. I searched here and I see some people still use snd don't eat the eggs for 2 weeks but I'm hesitant because I'm pregnant so I'm wondering if there's a dewormer that kills roundworms that's proven safe for egg laying hens?
    What about diatomacious earth? I've had luck deworming cats with that, has anyone successfully dewormed chickens with it?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Most dewormers used in chickens are not approved for laying hens, but most are safe. I would prefer SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or the Equine paste 1/4 ml per pound given once and in 10 days for most common worms. Valbazen 1/2-3/4 ml given orally, and repeat in 10 days is very good as well. Each of the above has an egg withdrawal of 14 days. If you use Wazine that only gets roundworms, the withdrawal time is 17 days.

3. brielin024

brielin024 In the Brooder

Jan 23, 2017
    Thanks! Are you saying use either safe guard OR Valbazen? Or do both?I'm sure she has roundworms because I saw them in the poop but it sounds like you're saying cover all the worms because they may have others I'm not seeing, correct?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes, us Valbazen or Safeguard, not both. I prefer Valbazen since 2 doses are all that is needed for most worms, but it is more expensive and a little harder to find. Rural King usually carries Valbazen, and you can find it online. Roundworm is the most common worm found in chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: