Roundworms! Question about worming and "worminator"

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SIMZ, Oct 1, 2013.

1. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Hello!

I've found 2 piles of roundworms on separate roosts the last couple of weeks. Gross. I need to do some worming.

Here is my question:

I've used Worminator from twin city poultry last fall and again in the spring. Did it work or not? Would they get large worms in poop already from a worming in the spring?

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    What's in Wormonator? I just looked it up and didn't see the ingredient list. Intestinal parasites are easy to pick up if the ground is seeded with their eggs. UGH! I use Ivermectin on my birds if they need treating, maybe once or twice a year if something pops up. Find out what you have and treat as needed with a product that works.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Worminator is pyrantal pamoate. It is effective against large roundworms, pinworms, hookworms, whipworms. The key in using it is that birds have to be redosed 10-14 days after the initial dosing to ensure total effectiveness.
    I don't recommend ivermectin pour on for worming chickens. It wont kill cecal, capillary, tapeworms and large roundworms are showing resistance against it as well. Injectable ivermectin is totally ineffective against worms in chickens.

4. SIMZ

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Is Worminator worth using then as long as I re-dose? It almost seems to good to be true that there is only a 24 hour withdrawal period.

BYW, Dawg53....while reading some other posts about roundworm I saw a suggestion you gave about pulling on their wattles to open their mouths. Priceless info for us! You have no idea what we've gone through in the past trying to get their mouths open. [​IMG]

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I use the Worminator, and so far haven't had any problems. Its great, at least in my opinion, because it works quickly, kills many types of worms, and has a short egg withdrawal period (24 hours). As long as you re-dose after 14-18 days, then it should be effective for you.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    If you live in an area with a lot of wild birds/other animals/intermediate hosts like worms and grasshoppers, its perfectly possible that the Worminator worked, but your birds got worms again. People usually recommend deworming at least twice a year to prevent birds from getting infested again. I use the Worminator, and it works fine for me. I haven't had any problems with worms. As Dawg53 and Bantamlover21 have said, its a good idea to re-dose about two weeks after the first dose so that you kill all of the worms. I'm very happy with how the Worminator works. It kills almost all worms, and has a very short withdrawal period.

If you want to try a different dewormer, I recommend getting either Safeguard or Valbazen. Both are broad spectrum dewormers that are safe to use. Here is some information on Safeguard and Valbazen dosages:

Safeguard:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/622671/safe-guard-dewormer
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/676138/safe-guard-goat-dewormer
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/559705/gapeworm-treating-with-safeguard

Valbazen:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/401475/worming-with-valbazen

Hope this helps!

7. SIMZ

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Thanks everyone! I've never done a second dose, so I'll be sure to do that this time. Thank you for the feedback. I feel pretty good about continuing with the Worminator. [​IMG]

8. earthfriendlyfarm

earthfriendlyfarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    Ellijay
    We had a confirmed case of roundworm 2 months ago. and found out much after lots of research. First...Wazine has a 17 day with drawl for eggs and 21 I think for slaughter. Ended up using that as I could not find anything else at that time. During the 17 day with drawl from eggs period, I had lots of time to do more research. Found a product from Europe called Flubenvet. Made by Eli Lily. No withdrawl sold at feed and seed stores there. But in America....Eli Lily is going to make it prescription. So continued to look and found Triple Wormer from Rooster Booster. No withdrawl for eggs and like the ingredients. So we did the first dosing using the Wazine and second dosing 20 days later with the triple wormer. Plus found that round worm, eggs, larvae and the worm all can live for 10 years plus in the soil. So I needed to break the cycle. Went on line and found ...again from Europe...a soil steriliser, which is effective and inexpensive. We have been using Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade for years, in the chickens feed and in their roost/nesting and outdoor pen for years. What I found was that once it gets wet, as in swallowing or mixing in water, or getting it wet, it looses it's sharp edges which are supposed to slash the parasites and dehydrate and kill the parasites. But still has nice minerals for internal use. If the soil you put it on is kept continually dry, as in the roost/nest, pin rooms it will be effective.

So now once every 4 months or so, I wander around the chicken yard and collect up fresh poops, put them in a qt. baggie, keep the refrigerated and then take then that same day down to our local Vet who checks them for worms and eggs. We lost several hens to round worms before we knew what was going on. they justs one day got really lethargic and once we noticed we picked them up and found they were skinny as could be. But fluffy feathers can be deceiving. I hate loosing my kids.

9. SIMZ

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Thank you for sharing all of your research and info!

I'm curious - how much does your vet charge to look at the poop for worms and eggs? I've never asked because I expect them to charge me $50 to bring in a chicken for an exam right off the bat. lol

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You'll have to call around and ask if you can bring in a sample to be tested and how much they charge. Or you can do what I've done, bring the sample in and TELL them you want it tested for worms. It cost me $12. If they refuse, go to another vet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by