Roundworms???

thewatsonfarm

Songster
8 Years
Mar 22, 2015
Orange County, California
I just adopted an adorable dog from a Rescue organization. She is curious about the girls, but has really been awesome. She's got some appetite problems, and has had some diarrhea. I took her to the vet and a fecal exam determined that she has roundworms.

My vet doesn't do chickens, and I haven't had a chance to speak to him yet, but I'm not sure if he would really know. If the dog is passing roundworms in her feces, and she goes in the yard, are the chickens at risk?

My vet (who actually didn't work today; he was just being nice) sent me the text about the roundworms, and told me to contact the office in the morning re: medication.

Does that mean I need to test and possibly medicate my hens too? Anyone know?

20180801_180031.jpg
20180803_132150.jpg
20180803_131546.jpg

Dog roundworms are NOT the same as the roundworms that can infect poultry, so it's not a problem. Those roundworm eggs in her poo won't die in your yard, though, so be diligent about picking it all up and putting it in the garbage, rather than leaving it in your yard.
Mary

Oh thank goodness! Thank you so much, Mary -- what a huge relief!
I knew this was the best place to ask! :)

I can pick up some of it, but she's got some diarrhea that I can't scoop up. If I douse the area in vinegar, do you think that would kill the worms? Or other ideas???
I'd ask the vet what to treat the ground with.
When my rescue dog had giardia, I think they told me to use bleach.

Your pup definitely looks like a GSD, at the very least a mix. I love the dopey ear, I would be kissing it all the time! I have had many GSDs over the years and I miss having them.
I'm glad you asked the worm question, it's good to know.

Back
Top Bottom