Roundworms?

stephg84

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2019
Hi all, I’m pretty new to backyard chicken keeping. We have 2 roughly over a year hens that we got about 2 months ago. All has been good, but this morning when cleaning the poop out of the coop I noticed worms . I think they are roundworms...what is the best solution to get rid of them? Wazine?

We had a squirrel that was breaking into their run and stealing their food, could that be where they got it? We also have 4 2.5 month chicks in a coop near them, should I also treat them just to be sure?

Attachments

• FD02F8DD-A68D-4CFA-812F-536EF3D1F1E3.jpeg
    FD02F8DD-A68D-4CFA-812F-536EF3D1F1E3.jpeg
    578.1 KB · Views: 15
Also, I do use DE in their coop and run. I sprinkle it in their coop once a month and in their run once a week

DE will not do anything in regards to internal parasites.

Yes, you will want to deworm them. If it's only roundworms, Wazine will indeed work. Best bet is always to get a vet to run a fecal for you and advise. Many of us use Fenbendazole (Safe Guard liquid) or Albendazole (Valbazen for cattle) off-label in chickens.

I do not know if squirrels spread roundworms, but your chickens can pick them up anywhere they touch dirt, really.

Hi all, I’m pretty new to backyard chicken keeping. We have 2 roughly over a year hens that we got about 2 months ago. All has been good, but this morning when cleaning the poop out of the coop I noticed worms . I think they are roundworms...what is the best solution to get rid of them? Wazine?

We had a squirrel that was breaking into their run and stealing their food, could that be where they got it? We also have 4 2.5 month chicks in a coop near them, should I also treat them just to be sure?
Looks like roundworms to me.
If you can find Wazine, that will work, but my understanding it's hard to get right now. Not sure if it's off the market or just backordered everywhere.

Tractor Supply carries Safeguard Liquid Goat Wormer (Fendbendazole) you can use that. For roundworm only, give 0.23ml per pound of weight orally once, then repeat in 10 days. If you want to treat any other type of worms, then give for 5 days in a row.

You can also use Albendazole (Valbazen), order it online. Dosage is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeat in 10 days.
Roundworms in poultry are species specific, so they did not get them from the Squirrel. Here's some reading about poultry worms and their lifecycle. For your youngsters, it's always a good idea to have a fecal float to confirm worms if possible, but if you feel they may be carrying a load, then treating them should be considered.
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/aa078

upload_2019-7-10_8-55-58.png
upload_2019-7-10_8-59-48.png

Depending on your stores, they may have both Safe Guard and Valbazen in stock. Mine usually do.

Thank you so much! I picked up some safeguard yesterday, that’s what my local store had. Because there were actual worms, my best bet is to treat it right? And don’t take chances?

I usually would prefer something more natural and not to have to toss eggs, but not sure if that’s an option this point?

Thank you so much! I picked up some safeguard yesterday, that’s what my local store had. Because there were actual worms, my best bet is to treat it right? And don’t take chances?

I usually would prefer something more natural and not to have to toss eggs, but not sure if that’s an option this point?
I would treat with the Safeguard, you are seeing the worms, so there is a heavy infestation.
I agree, there is no "natural" way to treat worms.

Back
Top Bottom