1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roundworms!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by meusoc, Oct 22, 2011.

1. meusoc

meusoc Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2011
    A check of my coop showed round worms in one of my Chickens poop this morning! What should I use to get rid of the worms? Do I have to put down the ones that are infected?

I have 10 young chickens, about 4 mos! I believe it was the Rooster that had the worms but obviously I will treat the whole flock! Thanks in advance...

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    No you do not have to put them down. But you do need to worm them quickly - once you see worms in their poop, they are overloaded with them. I worm my flock with Valbazen - it kills ALL types of worms. (withdrawal on the eggs is 14 days) I'm not sure on dosage for chickens that age, it's .5 cc per adult large fowl.

Wazine is another wormer that ONLY works on roundworms. It will not kill any other types of worms. That's why I switched to Valbazen.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Do NOT put down any birds. I recommend that you purchase valbazen (albendazole,) it is a liquid cattle/sheep wormer and if your feed store doesnt carry it, you can order it from Jefferslivestock.com or call them. Valbazen kills all types of worms that chickens can get. It is administered orally. Use a syringe without a needle to dose them. Dosage is 1/2cc for standard size birds and 1/4cc for smaller birds. Redose them again in 10 days. There is a 24 day withdrawal period from start to finish. It is on the expensive side, but will last you a very long time. It is the best wormer on the market to treat chickens with worms.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Thanks Dawg - I knew you'd be around with the rest of the info. [​IMG]

5. meusoc

meusoc Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2011
    Just ordered it!!! Thanks for the help!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by