Roune ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bklouda, Aug 4, 2011.

1. bklouda

bklouda New Egg

Aug 4, 2011
    I just got 5 Roune ducklings and am new to raising ducks. Any pointers for just getting started any info would be greatly appreciated thanks

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

Be patient - there is loads to learn.

Watch them carefully for things like seeming very tired or lacking energy, limping, eye discharge, breathing difficulty.

Do a search on the Duck Forum for feeding ducklings, duckling water, brooder, and other things.

Ducklings need food and fresh water 24/7 until they are at least several weeks old. Then it should be no more than 10 hours without (like, overnight).

Ducklings can get into some weird trouble - they may swallow things not good for them, or get their feet or heads stuck and twisted. Keep dangerous things (including dogs, cats, and very young or undisciplined children) away from them.

Decide how you are going to deal with the fact that they splash their water and their food and sometimes their poop all over the brooder. No need to get upset about it - it is what they do, and they are still adorable.

Get a good feed for them. Chick feed might be okay, unmedicated is best (I am told amprolium is okay - you need to check this out and decide), but chick feed lacks enough niacin. Do a search on niacin on the duck forum and find out more.

I started mine with just a little chick grit from day two, so I did not worry after a week when I gave them a few peas and some lettuce if they could digest real food.

They need to be warm enough and not too warm. People argue over the temperatures, but Storey's Guide recommends 90F the first week dropping 5 degrees a week. Ducklings rarely all like the same temperature, so there need to be warmer and cooler places in the brooder. There should be no cold drafts in the brooder, but it needs to be well ventilated.

If you want them to be friendly, you need to spend loads of time with them. They will likely go through a phase of being afraid of you. Be patient.

They do best with warm (I used 90F) water to wade in at first, just up to their bellies, and at first, just a few minutes at a time. Then right into a clean, dry, warm brooder. If they don't preen, dry them off with a dry washcloth.

They need to be able to wash their whole heads to avoid eye and sinus infections.

I am sure I left something out - I'll let others step in and share their ideas.

3. bklouda

bklouda New Egg

Aug 4, 2011
    Thanks that helps out alot

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by