routine processing of hen-found softball size water filled cyst???

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by chooniecat, Nov 17, 2011.

1. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    18 mo RIR hen(chosen becuz shriveled cone/molting) I processed this a.m. had a softball sized water filled transparent cyst(or sac of some sort?????)in her lower gut(didn't notice until she was laid open). I am not good with organ identification but seriously doubt this was an organ! she did not have external parasites and am getting ready to routinely med for internal worms.she also hasn't been laying(I THINK) any thoughts PLEASE?

2. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Maybe CHF?? I culled one of my cornish X that was filled with fluid, she was having a really hard time breathing..

3. Fenika

Fenika Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2010
    Fluid cysts are common in a lot of animals.

My thought, with it being in her lower abdomen, is that it *could* be an ovarian cyst (fairly common. barely look like an ovary) but not necessarily. Was it free or attached out of curiosity?

Heart failure often leads to free fluid in the body, aka ascites.

4. chooniecat

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    CHF? will look up. and it was attached(I think) sorry to sound vague but am still new to processing and the whole process freaks me but.....I DO have another bird that seems to be weak and am super worried now. I will process another bird in a.m.(the weak one probably) and will be curious what to find. thanks. later..........ok-congestive heart failure-think the fluid would be more everywhere than in a sac? and I got the breed of chicken wrong(I have too many different breeds!) she was a black australorp of same age and I DID have a BA that exhibited signs of hard breathing/purple comb this summer. they're not banded so i can't tell them apart(on purpose so it would be easier come killing time).

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yeah, that's not CHF, with that the fluid is generalized. Sounds like a fluid-filled cyst, probably benign, I'd eat her!

6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

My sister is a surgical nurse and had a patient that had an 80lb ovarian cyst. It burst as they tried to bring it out of the incision but they measured the fluid they caught and it was 80lbs of fluid. Said the fluid looked like egg whites.

So, could be your hen had that large of an ovarian cyst and could explain why she wasn't laying.

7. chooniecat

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    She is in the freezer and I plan on eating her.Flesh looked excellent to me (altho being new to this-GAG)And the sac was filled with what seemed to be literally water. I plan on going slower with the next processing and the planned hen IS not looking great so.....will do necropsy(more gags)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by