roving roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ams3651, Aug 23, 2008.

1. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    One of my roos I need to get rid of has taken to getting out (going to rename him Houdini) at right in the morning then today pretty much all day. I gave up and put him food and water out. Im afraid hes going to become hawk food but hes not the dominate roo and I think he wants out of there. Should I just leave him be. He could get back in the coop if he wanted to, the walls are only 5' high right now. they all roost on the top and usually a couple are out in the am and the hens are more than happy to go back in but he wants nothing to do with it. Should I let him be?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Unless you plan to make him your food eventually, yeah, you can let him out. He may become hawk prey or prey to some other wild creature, but he'll be happy.

We have a little black banty rooster from the neighborhood to the south that comes around frequently. My kids have nicknamed him, "Hobo Aaron", and when he shows up our little 17 week old rooster tries to crow his head off. It's hilarious.

This morning after each crow I'd tell Jeffrey..."C'mon, you can do better than that" and then he would crow again. I had my wife smiling.

Jeffrey may soon need to become food because he is getting loud.

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    He should be fine outside. Hopefully he won't be something's dinner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by