1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rowdy Muscovy Drake keeps hens from laying??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jmc, Apr 15, 2009.

1. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Could a slightly stir crazy/hormone crazy Muscovy drake--with his sort of rowdy/antsy behavior in the 6 x 3 coop I have--be keeping the two scovy hens from laying.

Other people in MA and others in MI and VT (ie, North of me!!) have hens that are laying. Could the drake's behavior be intimidating them.

He doesn't attack them or anything; but I can't let them out of coop earlier in am than I do, lest the predators still be about in the overly dark hours. I let them out now at 6:15 or so.

Still, the hens are leaving no eggs in secret places in their 2300 sq. ft. pen.

thoughts?????????

They are only June 08 birds (the drake and both hens), btw.....
    and he breeds them both--or tries to do so--daily......

I think I might put the drake into a separate 3 x 3 that I just completed...........

thanks in advance

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Humm...they should be laying by now.

The separation isn't a bad idea.

3. jmc

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Quote:thanks, wifey!

Janet died?????????? You just got 'em!!! I'm sorry about that. And she could've been the star layer, that Khaki girl [​IMG]

ETA

I should mention that the birds really get along well together. When they're outside, they positively cannot tolerate being apart. So cute how one (hens, esp.) will run to join each other once one of them realizes that, somehow, they got a bit separated.

At night, when I close/lock them in, they are very happy and contented with each other and do their lovely 'raindrop catching' and mutual preening for longer than I have patience to watch! The drake is not mean or violent, and I don't think he can actually breed them in the coop since it is only 3 ft wide by 6 ft. long. But in the am when I approach the coop to let them out, I observe that he is sometimes poking the hens in the 'I wanna mate' style. He pokes one then the other maybe a very short pursuit with the hen retreating, etc. etc. Then I let em out and boy are they glad to be out!

Often, a mating will occur within minutes of letting them out. The hens, while not being hurt or attacked by this mild drake, I do believe feel a bit of pressure being shut in the coop with him ONCE DAYLIGHT HAS BEGUN TO ADVANCE. So I'm letting them out a bit earlier.........

Anyway, sorry to babble. But these observations might help..............

But you'd think the hens would just lay somewhere else or at anothe r time of day if they were ready to lay at all. But NO EGGS and they are confined and there are no hiding places. I've blocked em all off!!!

TX

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2009
  4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Yeah, Janet turned up lame one day. I saw her limping in the morning, but didn't think much of it because I couldn't see blood or anything that would indicate a break. Later than day, hubby found the other girls had pinned her down and were beating the snot out of her.

We put her in her own "hospital tub" and she seemed to get a little better after a week and then she went rapidly down hill. We never could figure out the original issue, but I am sure the revolt from the girls lower on the pecking order didn't help.

Now Lana is "top duck". [​IMG]

Still baffled about your lack of eggs. They are getting plenty of daylight...right? And you say there are no hiding places. INTERESTING.

No sign of rodent activity?

5. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    Sorry double post!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  6. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    Sorry but this has nothing to do with you r post but what do you feed scovies but mine isnt eating like they should I just got them last week end and another question I have two pearl ones with they throw all different colors or not?

Oh by the way mine isnt laying yet either

7. jmc

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Quote:Would be better to start another thread. [​IMG]

8. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Hey Fr. John [​IMG]
    Muscovy drakes are rough breeders.
    What may seem aggressive or excessive is normal for them.
    Your girls are still quite young and may not lay til summer or not at all. Like I told you I had 2 yearlings last year that didn't lay at all....so who knows.
    Plus Muscovies are slow to start laying in cold climates.
    Just don't fret too much over the situation.
    Once they start laying they will lay on and off through Fall.

9. chickencarsten

chickencarsten Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2008
    ipswich massachusetts
    Hi Fr. John,The 3 muscovies you sold me are doing well.The 2 ducks have been laying for 7 weeks,the older hen is setting 12 eggs due to hatch on May 2 and the younger duck is spending more and more time on her nest.My drake is also a very rough breeder with the ducks.Hope your ducks start to lay soon(keep the faith) God Bless,Paul L.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by