Rowdy Rooster

Corgihome

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 12, 2013
Iowa
I'm new to raising chickens and this past week I've been noticing more and more abnoxious behavior from my speckled sussex rooster. I have read that they are slower to mature, he is 8 months now. Before he was very sweet, now he is going after all the hens, and is not being very greacefull about it. He's ripping out their feathers and trying to get on them from the front, which really doesn't work. The hens get away and then he's even more rowdy...
I've got another group of hens with a barred rock roo, and he was not this mean to his ladies.
Will my speckled sussex figure it out and become a nicer mate for my girls, or should I consider removing him?

He may, or he may not. I like to give most boys the benefit of the doubt, since most of my roosters behave that way when they're "becoming men". If the girls are young, they're probably not squatting for him, which is just making things worse. Things need to be figured out on both sides, there's a learning curve for the girls and the guy.

I would give him a little time to work things out, say a 2-3 weeks. Most get the hang of it by then. Good luck, good roosters are worth their weight in gold, he might just be a diamond in the rough!

Back
Top Bottom