Royal chickens?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by cat, Sep 13, 2008.

1. cat

cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    today someone offered me £130 (thats about $260 for my transatlantic cousins), for my two buff orpingtons...[​IMG] aparently they are the chicken breed the Queen keeps and are very popular here... are they this expensive anywhere else? no wonder my two girls walk about like little princess, obviously someone told them how much they are worth. If only they laid more eggs we would be rich! [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Did you sell them?

3. cat

Jul 9, 2008
    No, I was tempted but my daughter nearly had a fit, she threatened to take them into protective custody! she loves them so much, and while the money would be really nice, they are part of the family. I will definitely try breeding mine next spring though. Do you think I am crazy not to sell?

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You could offer some hatching eggs if you have a roo.

5. cat

Jul 9, 2008
    there is a breeder not far from me and he gives roos away for free, I am thinking we could get one next spring and raise some babies or sell eggs. The only trouble is my neighbours might not be impressed with a rooster waking them up every day!

6. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Don't believe they go for that kind of $$$ here, tho someone else from your island posted a pretty amazing news story some months ago about thieves stealing chickens to sell em in Britain. Orps among those.

7. cat

Jul 9, 2008
    That's kind of scary, I have never really thought about someone stealing my chickens, maybe this will help persuade hubby to let me have a chicken cam!

8. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Royal chickens generally come from royal eggs and are hatched at a royal hatchery...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  9. cat

Jul 9, 2008
    [​IMG] where can I get me some of those golden eggs! what do ya know, I was duped, mine aren't royal chickens after all, they are normal hens with a superiority complex [​IMG]

10. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Gotta 'fess up--those were actually blue, turquoise and brown eggs. Spray painted 'em for a photo contest. [​IMG]
    Just when you thought you might have a good excuse to get MORE CHICKENS...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by