Royal Outdoor vinyl shed installations PHOTO HEAVY!

EweSheep

Flock Mistress
14 Years
Jan 12, 2007
Land of Lincoln
Hubby and I worked on it last night. Took us less than two hours to the whole thing from start to finish. The shed itself is about seven years old, despite a minor burn on the corner from the brood light when we first had it and hubby's mistake of not securing the light that my Faverolles hen knocked it over and lost several birds due to the smoke inhalation. Otherwise it is still strong today and not weakened by the high winds, ice storms and snow loads. Talk about a tough little shed! Easy to put up and put down! We had to modify the shed to make it chicken friendly!

This is the shed before dismantling it. The pavement bricks were under that wood foundation. However the run off from rain and mice making their homes under it, gnawing thru the wood and rubber mats, we had to redo it so it would be off the ground.
Coopandchickens018.jpg

Then hubby straightened and backfilled the pavers after I dug up the rich compost dirt from the mice into the garden. Lovely earthy smell to it LOL! Then he put concrete blocks directly on top the pavers to give more height in case the pavers settled.
coop001.jpg

Our new floor! We could not find any horse rubber stall mats on hand by two of our stores. Many of them require 4 to 6 weeks on order only. So I thought of a rubber truck bed mat. Make sure it is rubber, not plastic! Plastic is too brittle and wont withstand the abuse of a uneven, worn down shovel to do your cleaning up. It is framed by 2 x 4's and topped with half inch plywood floor. Top it with rubber mat. Screw in the metal trough tracks on top of the mat. The metal tracks are the foundation for the shed walls.
coop004.jpg

Start on one corner, slide in the walls into the metal troughs.
coop005.jpg

The doggie door for the chickens to come in and out. To make the doggie door, you cut a panel as instructed on the doggie door manufactor's specifications. Install it like you normally do and be sure to have the flap for the inside instead of going out in the run (it was too muddy for me to open from the outside and it was easier to open from the inside).
coop006.jpg

Getting dark, getting the west side panel in. Dont pay any attention to the "dirt" on one panel, since hubby didnt flip it around but with some good cleaning, it would be sparkling like new again!
coop007.jpg

Installed the rest of the walls, north side panels. Slide them all in into the metal troughs. A bit of tugging and pulling will settle the rest of the walls into its place because it does give a tight fit.
coop010.jpg

Adjusting the doggie door, and screwing in the walls to floor AND more screws to wall to roof. The roof is very much like the walls AND it does not leak either. It is capable of handling heavy snow load and it does melt quickly on a sunny day. During the snow storms, it is very warm inside the coop and I never had any issues of moisture when I got the vents going and window.
coop011.jpg

Inside of coop (taken before dismantling)
Coopandchickens021.jpg

A visitor watching hubby from above............
coop016.jpg

It appeared to be a Barred Owl...not sure how common they are in the city. It was observant, unafraid of us underneath him or taking pictures of him. My girls (and a juvy roo) were all nervous, understandably so while they were waiting outside in their run for us to get their coop done. I dont think owls will bother the chickens, got a net above the run but I think he was waiting for mice to come back under the coop.

Thank you my dear hubby, for taking the time out and making my girls sleep a little safer and for us to eat some eggs in the morning!
love.gif
I wished you would have worn your kilt when you were doing this!!!!!!! ( I know he will be reading this!)

Last edited:
Quote:
Yep, he could use a headlamp flashlight! One thing for the Xmas wish list!
wink.png

KC......you got your wish....hubby in kilts!
LarryJacobite.jpg

CelticFestivalPeoria2010008.jpg

Instead of wearing his BEST kilt, a unikilt will suit him well. Maybe that Carhart material for the handy man! Wooo hoooo!

Last edited:
Thinking we need a tribute page for spouses who get sucked into our chicken projects. we couldnt do it without them and they love us depite the addiction!

Is it okay to say your hubby really looks "hot" in his kilt. I've never said that about a man in kilts before. Phew, this threat is getting too hot. It's okay, I'm old and harmless!!

Quote:
Ditto
big_smile.png

yes...ditto here too.

And here's to my great hubby for moving his Harley to fit my brooder... not freaking out when I ruined the entire back yard having a very large bobcat move earth to fit my new coop...for getting a truck load of dirt and $100 of grass seed and working an entire weekend to fix the back yard...for putting electricity and another vent in my coop...for numerous trips to Home Depot/Burt Lumber/Agway etc. for supplies and spending this weekend making my very large run...and all the future stuff I still need but haven't told him yet;) (sorry, no kilt photos)

Back
Top Bottom