1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Royal Palm and Burbon Red-Sex Link?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by 1Chick Magnet, Oct 23, 2013.

1. 1Chick Magnet

1Chick Magnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I have a royal palm tom. I have a burbon red hen. I also have a hen who is half sweetgrass and half black Spanish(she is bronze). I am trying to decide if I keep the red or swap her for another sweetgrass mix.

Does anyone know if the burbon would make sexlink children? Any thoughts on what the children would look like from either of these girls bred to royal palm. I need to make a decision in 2 days. Any advice would help.

2. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    There is no sex link from the red, but there is a sex link from the palm. Crossing the palm Tom with the red hen will produce toms that look like red bronze and hens that look like golden Narragansett. They will all have hidden recessive gray genes, and the toms will have a hidden Narragansett gene.

3. 1Chick Magnet

1Chick Magnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    New Hampshire
    thank you so much for the response. I just looked at the pictures on porters. I think both colors are beautiful. I will keep my red hen.
    Have you crossed any of the golden hens back to a royal palm tom? what happens then?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by