Royal Palm for Christmas dinner

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by bee_wrangler, Dec 24, 2009.

1. bee_wrangler

bee_wrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    I butchered one of my RP toms for Christmas dinner, had it tonight. I was a little worried since I have heard they are not often used for eating due to lack of meat. There was five of us eating (two kids) and there was lots, even some left for a few more meals. It was the best turkey any of us have ever had!! Also the first heritage turkey we ever had. It was about 7 m/o... I am so impressed I will never have a store bought turkey again.

2. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    you just ansered a ? for me i had alwys wanted to know,
    whch was why cant you eat rp turkeys

3. bee_wrangler

bee_wrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    I guess if you are having a small army for Christmas and need a 40lb bird RP's are not the best choice, but its perfect for for a smaller family. The one we had was young aswell, I imagine there would be twice as much meat on a full grown Tom. I had also been feeding alot of apples, pears, and veggie scraps over the past couple months. I was unshure aswell how good it would be due to the lack of opinions on how RP's taist... I have even searched all over the net to find something on eating them but no luck. But after Christmas dinner both my wife and I agree RP's are the best choice for us, Just the right amount of meat and most important absolutely delicious!

4. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    In comparison to other heritage turkeys the RP is lacking in breast meat. I for one will never eat a store bought turkey. The difference in taste is night and day. The RP have a nice taste but the Midgets and the Burbon Reds have the best taste.
    Sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by