Royal Palm with a bad leg/foot

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by zchic75, Oct 21, 2013.

1. zchic75

zchic75 New Egg

Jun 9, 2013
    over the summer I bought 3 RP hatchlings... when I got home I realized one had a bad foot, like a club foot the foot turns in and toes are curled. Unfortunately I didn't research it and because he got around fine I didn't splint it or anything. All summer as he grew he seemed fine his leg turns out to accommodate the foot and he has a slight limp. yesterday he wouldn't walk he was just laying and even when we went up to him he had to hop and flap to move. I think he is getting too heavy for the leg maybe??? I vet wrapped itjust to see if it would help and he is limping on it now but seems to get worn out and then lays down. sometimes when he lays down he is sitting on his legs and tips backwards onto his tail... Im planning on taking him to see a vet friend tomorrow but does anyone have any suggestions? I reaqlly like him and don't want to loose him but I also don't want him suffering. thanks.

2. mrclif

mrclif Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2013
    Alabama
    I've got a eastern with a bad leg, its turned sideways at the joint. She eats and gets around but has to flap her wings for help. She 3 months old havent brought myself to killing her. She can fly up and roost but she sits around alot, but not over wieght yet.

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    How is your turkey? Did you take him to the vet?

4. zchic75

zchic75 New Egg

Jun 9, 2013
    He is still the same... he has been staying in the house during the evening/night till we get their bigger building made. There isn't much that can be done. His foot is turned and his leg sticks out odd to make up for it. I think he is just getting too big ... took him out today and let him hang out in the sun. He gets around some and was eating grass and his baby Guinea friends were happy to see him. He is staying in an XL dog kennel in the house with pine shavings and his food and water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by