Royal Palms rare?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by The Red Rooster, Jan 25, 2012.

1. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

I read that RPs are "endangered." How is that?

2. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

check info at the ALBC american livestock breed conservancy
    most of the heritage breeds would be considered endangered if they were considered wildlife instead of livestock.

3. Mort Bondurant

Mort Bondurant Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2012
    From a totally ignorant point of view, I wanted some, so I ordered some on the internet. They are beautiful and tasty. Now I'm about ready to incubate their eggs and raise a bunch more so that I don't have to order any more. So, it make no sense to me either.

Mortimer

4. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I don't know if it's accurate or not but I've heard the ALBC numbers are WAYYYYYYYYY off... [​IMG]

5. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    I'm not sure, I suppose it depends upon what they base their numbers off of. They have Sumatras listed as critical for example, Sumatra's are crazy popular in my opinion. It seems like everyone has them, whether they are show quality or hatchery quality they still seem very popular in my eyes and if nothing else should be moved to the "Watch" list.

But then on the other hand they have Shamo on the "Watch" list and they are not as popular as Sumatra, especially pure, good Shamo.

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    The endangered lists make no sense to me, except I suspect that they are only counting the purebred birds in the hands of breeders.

A lot of hatcheries are selling a lot of hatchlings that are not as purebred as they would like for you to think. If those were the only birds available, I would consider the breed to be lost.

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    One more thought: compare the number of Royal Palms to the number of white Leghorn chickens and you will realize that there are not so many people breeding Royal Palms. If a relatively small number of people switched to another breed, the Royal Palm could end up in trouble.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by