1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Royal Palms - Toms or hens?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Destornis, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Destornis

Destornis Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2014
    Colorado
    Hello, I got 2 Royal Palm turkeys that I am having trouble knowing if they are males or females. They look very similar, they strut and gobble the same. Their snood and their heads are red, and change colors (which I bet the females do as well, since i'm guessing they are males) I can try to post pictures very soon, and also they are about 10 months old. Vent sexing isn't really an option for me, as they are very large and not really experienced in it. Does anyone have pictures showing the differences for Royal Palms? Thank you very much! [​IMG]

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    If they're 10 months old, strutting and gobbling and their heads are changing color, I'm betting they're males. I've had hens that have strutted, but they never really gobbled and their heads don't change color.

3. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Sound like males to me.

4. Destornis

Destornis Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2014
    Colorado
    Ah that's what I thought. Well thanks for the reply!

5. rjfarm

rjfarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2014
    I got Royal Palm's and Bourbon Reds and at 9or10 month's u can tell the difference toms heads are bigger and change color. And a hen head is a lot smaller then a tom

6. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    Hen heads can change from pink to blue and it's not too rare for them to have beards and even strut, but they don't gobble like a tom (though they can do a fake gobble), and I've not seen a confirmed hen with a long snood (more than 1/2") nor with spurs longer than nubs.

I have a Narragansett turkey that at 10 months still has me wondering. It has the coloring of a tom, cackles like a hen, squats for the dominant tom, struts and changes color and has well developed caruncles and snood but no sign of a beard though it does have the fatty mass at the base of the neck. I've never seen it try to mount the other hens and the dominant tom has never tried to fight with it, instead he tries to court it.

I have had plenty of sex link hen chickens "go rooster" on me when they get old and develop bigger comb and wattles and even kind of crow after a lifetime of laying eggs, but chickens tend to kill these odd birds off. Turkeys seem a lot more tolerant of sexually ambiguous or gender-benders.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  7. NO5birdlimit

NO5birdlimit Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2015
    Ok, I am having the same problem! I went and picked up 3 Royal Palm "toms" from someone who decided to not have birds any longer... they told me "we can't tell them apart" which I found to be ridiculous, but anyway... once I get them home... 2 are most DEFINITELY toms, however the third just seems like a hen to my husband and I. It doesn't fan its tail, its "gobble" is not quite a gobble it mostly makes a whining sound, and the 2 toms seemed to be posturing around the third until it flew on top of the henhouse. All 3 are approx a year old...Is it possible for this to be her first laying season and the people were wrong? I have had chickens and ducks but never turkeys. I don't mind either way, just wanting to know. If I have a hen it saves me from trying to find one!! LOL
    [​IMG]

8. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Ca
    can you post a pic.

9. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    I have a confirmed hen (laid her first egg of the year yesterday) that when she is in full strut mode her snood extends completely to the end of her bill. She is an excellent mother and has hatched and raised quite a few poults for me.

Her mother has a beard.

10. NO5birdlimit

NO5birdlimit Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2015
    I will try to get one! Give me a few!! And thank you!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by