Royal Palms

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by bigredfeather, Jan 20, 2010.

1. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I am considering getting some turkey eggs to hatch. Are Royal Palms a good choice for someone who only wants to raise a few a year at Thanksgiving time? I have a large area of woods fenced off for them to free range in.

Thanks.

2. bee_wrangler

bee_wrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    If you have a big family to feed you may want to get another kind, but its perfect for a smaller family

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    royal palms tend to be scrawny and small without much meat on them.

4. chocolate m'scovy

chocolate m'scovy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    Narragansetts and Bourbon Reds are bigger than Royal Palms, and they're still heritage. If you want personality, the toms, especially Narragansetts, are quite swashbuckly and those Bourbon Red girls will chase dogs (and you when you're not watching, but they are only looking to you for food). Our Jack Russell Terrier has great fun teasing the Bourbon girls. Bourbons are excellent foragers. They will eat (or try to eat) anything.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2010
  5. Oklahoma Lightning

Oklahoma Lightning Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Twin Oaks
    I have a commercial turkey operation. It is very small, I raised 60 plus last year. 200 this year if the hatch is good.
    I have 20 RP left because they just didn't grow out good. Weight to feed is very low. They are more a yard decoration then a eating bird. Try a Bourbon,Slate or a White Holland for eating.
    I plan to keep the RP and sell eggs this season. So, I can recoup my money.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by