Royal Purple x Buff Dondette breeding?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by solanaskyes, Apr 1, 2012.

1. solanaskyes

solanaskyes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2011
    I finally found where this pair was nesting... just outside the "protected" fenced area in a field a lot of our predators live in.:rolleyes: . Anyway, I collected all the eggs, probably about 20 and a friend wants to try hatching them. Any idea what this color combo would produce? Both parents are from Guinea Farm, so supposedly "purebred" for color...

2. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    The dark color gene of the Royal Purple is dominant over the lighter color gene of the Buff Dundotte, but the fully pearled gene of the Duff Dundotte is dominant over the the partially pearled gene of the Royal Purple... so if they really truly are "purebreds", then to me that equates to all Pearl Grey keets that will either be split to Royal Purple or split to Buff Dundotte [​IMG] (and then next year those keets' offspring if allowed to breed with each other should hatch out as Pearl Grey, Royal Purple and Buff Dundotte keets). I've never owned or selectively bred any purebred Guineas, so I can't be 100% positive other colors will or won't show up tho. Also keep in mind that even tho they've paired off, there's still the possibility that one of your other males (of another color) could have bred that Hen also... so it still could be a somewhat varied hatch.

You could always contact The Guinea Farm and ask them what colors the pair should produce.

3. solanaskyes

solanaskyes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2011
    Interesting, well, I will update with anything that may hatch out of these guys.

4. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    What about a partially pearled over a solid?

Went out looking today & some how I don't have any solid males, or at least not any that I could spot tonight! I have no idea how that could have happened. So I have either chocolate, royal purple or bronze cocks over my violet, slate, white & sky blue ladies! HOW OH HOW did this happen! I told DH I want to sort through them & double check. My first hatch is in 2 wks so guess I will see how things turn out then.

5. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    I'm pretty sure the partially pearled pattern is dominant over the solid pattern, but you may still get some solid keets. Hope so anyway! [​IMG]

6. jcatblum

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    Was reading color genetics of guinea fowl by Jane smith on another site. Looks like semi pearled & solid are both recessive. Maybe I will get lucky & get a few cool colors since I am running blues & browns together! Guess I will find out in a few wks.

7. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Oooh a book on color geneitcs.... Is it on Amazon by any chance or online only. [​IMG] [​IMG]

deb

8. jcatblum

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    It is just an article, but made in a simple fashion so my head didn't spin. Think it was on guinea fowl international. Bet if you google it you can find it. I am using my phone to view BYC so can't link it easily (sorry).

9. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

10. hennypenny99

hennypenny99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Hugo, Ok
    Let us know what they hatch out to be. I can't wait to see what colors mine hatch out either? I am hoping for a variety of colors. My males are I have pearl, pied and buff males and pearl and violet females. I bought them from 2 different breeders and they had a variety of colors in their flock, including lavendar. I hope to get some lavendars!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by