Royal Purple?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Jaybr, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Jaybr

Jaybr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Matoaca, VA
    I believe two of the keets I got last week are Royal Purple coloration, what do the guinea experts think?

The 2 with the white undersides

[​IMG]

Sorry for the bad coloring in the pic, I took it at dusk and had to use the flash.

2. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    They look like Pieds to me, but compare your's to the pics at www.guineafarm.com. I've never seen Royal Purples with white on them after feathering out.

3. Renegade

Renegade Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2007
    Griffin, GA
    They are Royal Purple. I just sold the rest of mine and they always feather out that color at first. They won't change to their true color until they get the adult feathering.

Donna

4. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Go with Donna on this, as most know, I try to breed lighter colored guineas, lavenders and powder blues and don't keep the darker ones for very long.

5. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    What do the tops of their heads look like?

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
  7. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    My vote is for pearl pied. It might have some royal purple in it but there is a lot of pearling over the top of the body to be totally purple since purples are only partially pied. A few years ago I thought I would "do" guineas so I had 15 different colors all separated by color. They never did very good when penned so I finally just let them all free-range. I eventually got rid of all my pearls, pearl pied, and whites simply because everyone has them. Then I finally suffered burnout one summer hatching too many and got rid of ALL my guineas (in 1½ months I hatched over 700). I have been considering getting more just haven't been able to make that leap yet....lol.

8. tataharris

tataharris Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2007
    Calvin, Oklahoma
    [​IMG] [​IMG] That's ALOT of hatching!!!! [​IMG]

9. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    Quote:LOL. Yeah, it was TOO much. I had 2 Sportsman incubators and a Sportsman hatcher. I had all 3 trays in the incubators going and all 6 trays in the hatcher filled every week. But, I had no problems selling off the keets [​IMG]

10. tataharris

tataharris Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2007
    Calvin, Oklahoma
    Well.... I've always wanted guineas... sooo.... I was looking at the keets at one of the farm supply stores and the price was simply outrageous... [​IMG] Something like $3 - $4 for one baby..... 1 BABY!!! and you know everyone and their brother had already handled those little peepers.... sooo.... I ordered some eggs. I got 16, but after candling about day 18.... 11 were clear... 4 finally hatched and one died in shell, I think .... My babies are now 4 days old and very, very, very energetic.... Wow!!! but I am very excited about having them
    Oh, and they are already very, very, very noisy.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by