royally messed up hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HumbleRoots, Jun 7, 2011.

1. HumbleRoots

HumbleRoots New Egg

Mar 22, 2011
    I totally blew it this time. This summer we are not selling heritage turkeys or Poulet Rouge meat chickens...I am soley working on perfecting incubating; besides spending the summer with my toddlers and training our ponies. Never mind that... My last hatch of chickens was great...seemingly perfect but some bantams died after they began to hatch. I had to leave town (lesson learned- before starting clutch, find out what you will be doing 21 days later) and my girlfriend let the incubator go dry...I think they couldn't get out. What do you think? However, had about a 60% good healthy hatch rate. About 18 chickens and 2 bantams.

This time I had some chickens, turkeys and guineas in incubator. Perhaps that was my first mistake? 2 chickens hatched healthy last week. When I was sure the others wouldn't hatch, I opened them (to learn from my mistake) and found them fully developed...

One guinea fowl has hatched and seems in perfect condition, the rest of the guinea eggs were fully develped but dead in the egg

My turkeys began to try to get out of the egg and one died with his beak sticking out, after a couple days, I helped 2 out and they couldn't seem to get out of the fetal/egg position. Never got upright just spun circles aroung the incubator and one died (the other is dying) and the rest of the turkeys were, again, fully developed but dead int he egg.

What am I doing wrong?

I should tell you, my 5 yo turned the incubator down to 75 and it was like that for 1 night before I fixed it and that was when the eggs had been in the incubator for a couple days. Then my partner shut off the fuse as he was doing some electrical work (supportive family, huh) and the next morning when I found out, the incubator was at 40 deg. So in one way, I was expecting nothing...but why did they get so far along and hten die?

2. Mrs.brown

Mrs.brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    In a coop
    aircell pipped or not?

3. HumbleRoots

HumbleRoots New Egg

Mar 22, 2011
    sorry...please explain what exactly pipped means.

4. mckenzie

mckenzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Douglas, GA
    Pipped is when they poke their beak through the air cell or the shell of the egg.

5. AustinM741

AustinM741 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Goldsboro, NC
    I had 29 eggs in the incubator..everyone of them except five had embryo in them, the five were fully developed, but dead..
    I feel uour pain. [​IMG]

6. HumbleRoots

HumbleRoots New Egg

Mar 22, 2011
    about 4 had pipped through the shell. Of those 4, 2 died before finishing, and I helped 2 out (eventually)- both were unable to stand or hold themselves up and just spun circles on their side. 1 is still living, the other died. The rest were just fully developed (yolk absorbed and little/no blood on the outter membrane but never even tried to get out. And their air pockets hadn't eben pipped. Died just like that. What's up with that??

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  7. mikej32782

mikej32782 New Egg

Apr 21, 2011
    Baldwin
    Would like to see what others think about this as I had 24 eggs in the incubator and all but 4 had fully developed chicks but all died before making there way out?

8. greenfingers

greenfingers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I have had the same problem a lot this year - some say it is a humidity problem. I have heard too low of humidity during the first 18 days. Also know that if you have too high of humidity during incubation, the chicks don't have a large enough air sac and pip into liquid and drown. Were your fully developed chicks 'juicy' inside the shell?

9. HumbleRoots

HumbleRoots New Egg

Mar 22, 2011
    Both of those could be the problem. I had the incubator in the basement (I usually try to keep it more visable to me) and I wasn't as diligent as usual about adding water at first. And I was VERY diligent about adding water during incubating,as I thought it could only help. Ugh... I do not make a very good hen! I didn't feel like they were "juicy" at all...actually not even very slimy.

What percentages should the humidity be at for the fist versus second half? How does this vary between species? Is it just a bad idea to incubate different species together?

10. stacir

stacir Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    I have incubated different species together no problem including guineas, ducks, turkeys, chickens and peafowl.

I just hatched 2 peafowl and a turkey together - they all came out pefectly and on time. I now have 2 peafowl eggs in the incubator, day 28, but the air sacs are huge and no movement yet. I am worried they won't hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by