RR obstruction with diarrhea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ferven, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Ferven

Ferven New Egg

Sep 17, 2012
    New England
    3.5 yr old RR keeps trying to pass something. Initially I thought she was egg bound, swollen butt etc and straining. Researched, took her in and gave the warm bath, massage, ACV in water, lubricated the vent. She was quite unhappy. I think mostly from the bath and being wet!

I'm not sure what is going on with her. She eats and drinks a little. I Never did feel an egg, but she's definitely obstructed. Diarrhea seeping out, started white, then turned lightly yellow. She's inside separate from the others but wants to be outside. She otherwise looks good, good color etc. she hasn't laid an egg at least since Saturday, so 5 days? Probabky longer. But my hens don't lay so much right now because of darknes.

She also hasn't had a solid poop in all that time. My question is can I let her back out with the others or might she have an illness that she could pass on to the others?

2. kkowa

kkowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    I would keep her inside giver her a electrolyte and sugar yogurt mixture and some bread or scratch will help firm her poop up. feel her abdomen to see if you can feel an egg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by