RR Rooster had White Skin

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by VSZPSU, Mar 24, 2015.

1. VSZPSU

VSZPSU Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2014
    Just culled my first ever Rhode Island Red Roaster and the skin was white. I also culled an Australorp Roster and the RR had the same skin color .I have processed white and yellow skin chickens before but this was my first RR. I bought the RR from Cackle Hatchery and was thinking maybe they sent me a production Red but they told me the skin for a production Red should also be yellow. Anyone know what’s up as I was told RR skin should be yellow?

2. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    What are you feeding them? Feed impacts skin color.

3. VSZPSU

VSZPSU Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2014
    My Birds free range . I also make my own mix using a grain mill .My cousin farms some land I have so I get my grains -wheat-oats -corn in exchange. I grind together in the winter 40% wheat,15 % BOSS,20%corn and 15 % High protein (36%) Fish Meal Fish food and add in 10% flax seed when done. I figure the mix is around 20% protein. I also give them table scraps and oats as treats. I also have oyster shells and grit on hand. I have in one pen 6 WR-H,3 RR-H and 1RR-R which are 8 months old and are laying nice large eggs with bright orange yolks .I also have ( in another pen)14 BR-H,2 BR-R and a RR-R which are 6 months old and have been laying for around a month. The eggs are still increasing in size but the yolks are bright orange.All chickens are very active and happy.I started culling the Rosters because the first pen RR killed his pen mate and the hens were looking a little worn.Since my first posting we have eaten the RR and believe it or not the skin did have a yellow tint to it after being cooked .So I guess that counts?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by