RSL broody on fake eggs

Hi all. I have six hens (two EE, two BO, two RSL) that have never gone broody before. All of a sudden this evening as it was getting dark and they were preparing to roost, one of my RSL sat on the coop floor on top of two fake easter eggs (I had put them there so that they would lay eggs in that spot). She would not move despite the dark setting in and all the chickens roosting. She would settle in for a few minutes, then rearrange the fake eggs under her again, then settle back in. She seemed perfectly content there but I did not want her to miss out on her roost spot so I took the fake eggs from under her and placed her on the roost.
Was that an OK way to handle that situation? She seemed fine after and began preening her feathers on the roost but I felt bad. Anyone else have this happen with a hen going broody on fake eggs having never gone broody before? Was that what that was or perhaps it was something else? Thanks

Attachments

• 20210406_193927.jpg
    20210406_193927.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210406_193918.jpg
    20210406_193918.jpg
    434.5 KB · Views: 8
I had a BSL act as though she were going broody just last month; she’s only 8 months old so I didn’t believe her. After a few days of isolation away from the nesting box, she got over it. I even gave her some eggs just in case and she didn’t want anything to do with them. It was very strange.

(I had put them there so that they would lay eggs in that spot).
Why would you want them to lay there?
Eggs might roll down the trap door!

They don't need eggs to go broody, they will sit on nothing.
My go-to signs of a broody:
Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?

If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

Back
Top Bottom