reddpepper86

Songster
Mar 18, 2016
Oregon Coast
Hi everyone!

So earlier this week my 21 week old RSL has been squatting. Her comb/wattles have become much more red and her pelvic bones are about 2½ finger widths apart.

I put a fake egg in one of their nesting boxes and she has been "rearranging" I guess you could say, ever since. Moving the egg around, kicking around bedding etc.

Then this morning I went out and I thought one of my kids had taken the egg out because it was gone! On closer inspection though, I found it buried under bedding. I put it back on top of the bedding and Goldie (the RSL) got miffed at me, hopped up into the nesting box i had placed the egg in while "yelling" at me and started "rearranging" things again - fake egg included.

So what's up? Why is she now burying it? Should I just leave the egg alone?

Also, is it normal for chickens to get much louder the closer they are to laying eggs? Because boy oh boy, can she belt it out. :lau

Hello! Welcome to BYC!:frowI have a red sex link too that always is messing with the eggs rolling them around etc.. Little troublemaker!:lau Yes, your chicken is definitely getting close to laying. Especially if she is doing that. Loudness is another sign showing that your bird is getting ready to lay. I have an article called chickens getting ready to lay. You can check it out if you like.

Hello! Welcome to BYC!:frowI have a red sex link too that always is messing with the eggs rolling them around etc.. Little troublemaker!:lau Yes, your chicken is definitely getting close to laying. Especially if she is doing that. Loudness is another sign showing that your bird is getting ready to lay. I have an article called chickens getting ready to lay. You can check it out if you like.
I will definitely check it out! Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom