Rubber Chippings Beware!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Noodlynoo, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Noodlynoo

Noodlynoo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2014
    I sent for a sample of the rubber chippings made from old tyres that the company said is great for chicken runs.
    Thinking this was a great idea as it stays dry and is a good recycling product, but on receiving my little bag of tyre chips I noticed a sharp bit of wire sticking out of one of the pieces.

I have since learned that most tyres have a wire mesh inside of them, so it makes sense that pieces of wire are going to be in the chippings!!
    How this can be considered good for a chicken coop is beyond me!
  2. B-Goock

B-Goock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2013
    southern indiana
    They used to use old tires to make artificial reefs and found out that they put off some toxic stuff into the water. As they deteriorate they give off nasties as well. Toxicity then even worse the chickens would for sure pick around in it eating rubber tire pieces and metal.

I like how they use the words recycled or green for stuff like this. Paint it all pretty and word it so it sounds good for the environment. Ground up rotten toxic tires thrown on the ground. Twenty years from now someone will have a garden there eating food from rotten rubber. [​IMG] Organic vegetables in the store that came from a field that technically hasn't been sprayed for a couple years. Farmers solution spray 3 times as much than needed so there is residual the next couple years. Yep organic. Even the zero emissions cars aren't zero emissions cars. Over half our electricity comes from burning stuff which means the electricity the "zero emissions" car plugs into is half burnt something. The gas car uses no burnt something electricity, just gas.
  3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I thought the steel belts in a tire would present problems when it was cut or ground. It appears that my fear was well founded.

It is hard to beat good old sand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by