Rubber egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by momma chickie, Sep 11, 2016.

1. momma chickie

momma chickie Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2016
    I have a buckeye who feathered slow and strangely, didnt grow fast, but otherwise seems happy and healthy...Friday, dropped a rubber egg while scratching around the yard and last night dropped a rubber egg while roosting for the night.
    She free ranges with 4 other hens, gets organic lay pellets supplimented with oats and yogurt, oyster shell, grit, dried grubs and worms, and kitchen scraps.
    Is this likely to resolve or is she going to forever be our special Becky?

2. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I have a runt of a litter of five, 23 weeks. She has matured slower than the rest, but is full size now, is lighter in color and was last to start laying. She has given me a number of rubber eggs, soft shell eggs and flat sided eggs. I got a flat sided egg today, it was delicious. Yesterday I was petting her (cause she wasn't feeling herself) and she laid an egg right there, WOW. She gives me a perfect egg about half the time, but getting better. She's happy and healthy most days. If she was suffering or not feeling well on a daily basis, I would put her down. But at this time she is my girl who I named Little One. GC

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  3. momma chickie

May 6, 2016
    Mine is around 6 months old...not a runt, just slow developing feathers, laying, she just isnt like the others...all different breeds.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Soft shell eggs are not unusual with new layers....how long has she been laying?

5. Rosa780

Rosa780 Just Hatched

Aug 25, 2016
    My front porch, Illinois
    Needing advice. I am a new chicken owner. I have a Rhode Island Red and a White Leghorn. They started laying the last week of August. White has been laying very consistently. It's Red (yes, Red and White are their names!) who I need advice for.

Here's what she's been laying:
    09/06 - solid egg in nest
    09/07 - thin shell, broken out of nest
    09/08 - thin shell, broken out of nest
    09/09 - no egg
    09/10 - solid egg in nest
    09/11 - thin shell, broken out of nest
    09/12 - thin shell, broken out of nest

She also has very flat looking poop. Whites poop is regular. I have been feeding store bought chicken feed for egg layers with Omega Egg Maker Supplement mixed in every day and Jobee's Organics bone meal is always available. I start the day with some meal worms and scrambled eggs with crushed egg shells. Through out the day I toss them lots of garden greens, grass and sunflower seeds, veggies and fruit. I raise crickets too so they get those too!

Since White is laying well, I don't know what is different about Red. I know its probably still early in their leg laying days so I'm hoping that's what it is. They're not free range but have a large 10 x 10 caged area that I keep very clean.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated!

6. momma chickie

May 6, 2016

She has not layed anymorw rubber eggs...after those first 2 she start3d laying eggs in the nest box...about 4 a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by