Rubber eggs! What are the chances?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KGangl, Oct 21, 2016.

1. KGangl

KGangl Just Hatched

May 30, 2016
    Hi all! I have 2 female 5 month old Pekin's. One started laying almost 2 weeks ago and has een regular as far as laying times (some time during the night). My other female just started laying 2 days ago. She has also been laying during the night. This morning they had each laid an egg as expected, but when I just went to get them from their enclosure this afternoon, I found 2 more eggs - neither with a shell (rubber eggs). Neither have laid during the day before, and I certainly didn't expect to find any eggs until I let them out tomorrow a.m. What are the chances they both laid a rubber egg at the same ime, especially when they have already ycled withing their usual period. Also, neither like oyster shell. They have been betting layer feed the last 2 weeks, in addition to peas, dandelion leaves, pasta, Cherrio's, cat food, etc.[​IMG]

2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    When they first start laying it is normal to get soft shelled eggs sometimes. Sometimes 2 eggs in a days time is normal too. They will even themselves out.

3. KGangl

KGangl Just Hatched

May 30, 2016
    Good to know this is normal :) I just thought it was odd that they both did it at the same time. Copy cat ducks! LOL!! I am sure our black lab will be happy to get these on his food tonight! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by