Rubber eggs...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mikeinlkstevens, Jul 9, 2008.

1. mikeinlkstevens

mikeinlkstevens New Egg

Jul 9, 2008
    My chickens just started laying about two weeks ago. I have eight Barred Rocks. They're about 5 & 1/2 months old now, and they're laying about 6 to 7 eggs now per day. Tonight I got home and saw that one of the eggs has a rubber-like shell. Can anyone tell me what causes this? I'm new to this stuff and don't have a clue.

Thanks.

Mike

2. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
  3. mikeinlkstevens

mikeinlkstevens New Egg

Jul 9, 2008
    Thanks Kelli. Looks like I might need to get some oyster shell. Have a good one.

Mike

4. Lammie

Lammie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    Rubbery shells can also be caused when the hen is rushed through the laying process and the egg is laid prematurely. And if she's still new at this, pullets can do that, too. Little calcium never hurts. I think it is not that unusual. Just a little freaky.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Depending on what part of the country you are in and the current temps, heat stress can cause funky developed eggs too.

What are you feeding them?

6. mikeinlkstevens

mikeinlkstevens New Egg

Jul 9, 2008
    Thanks for all the info. We live about 30 miles NE of the Seattle area. Temps have been in the 70's to 80's. I'm feeding them pellets. Sometimes the kids give them bread crumbs, and leftovers (i.e. noodles, mashed potatoes, corn, etc.) Had a rubber like egg about 1 &1/2 weeks ago too, but we seem to be getting good eggs for the most part from the rest of them, and they're getting larger too.

Thanks folks.

Mike

7. Gallinita

Gallinita New Egg

Jun 19, 2008
    Lancaster, SC
    I had one too this morning. Dad described is like a mushy ping pong ball. Both of my hens are about the same age and the one is laying just fine. I wonder if the other one is just laying cause she's jeallous.[​IMG] We'll see how long it lasts. Just be patient and yes oyster shells is a very good thing. You could also rinse out eggs shells and crush them very fine and mix that in her feed. Good Luck! We're in the same boat/coop. [​IMG]

8. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Regarding feeding eggshells - I don't bother rinsing mine any longer; I nuke them in the microwave for 15 seconds; that dries them right out! I collect them in an open gallon ziploc bag, and when it's full, I close the bag & rollerpin the heck out of them! I offer them separately in a little dog food bowl under my coop (which is on stilts).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by