Rubber eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 88keysau, Jan 5, 2014.

1. 88keysau

88keysau Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2014
    Hi all,
    Just a little background - we have 4 Isa Browns, all rescued ex battery hens about 20 months old. We have had them about 8 weeks and right from the first day we have been getting 3 or 4 eggs a day. They are looking much healthier now :)
    I now have one chicken who is laying rubber eggs - no shell and sometimes the egg is not formed properly at all ie, she will just pass white or yellow liquid. She does tend to be bullied and picked on by the other hens so we have isolated her on occasion in case it was stress related but that hasn't made a lot of difference.
    I've read heaps on here and have eliminated any nasty diseases and come to the conclusion that she must be low in calcium. We have added liquid calcium to her water when she is in isolation to make sure she is drinking it. All hens have a diet that is calcium rich organic layer pellets and 'chook museli' made by a local chicken breeder as well as the usual free range finds like snails and worms etc.... We have added shell grit to their diet as well as yoghurt and other foods high in calcium like leafy green vegetables.
    Is there anything else I should be looking out for? How quickly would an improvement be seen?
    Thanks for the help!
    Karen, novice chicken mum :)

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
  3. 88keysau

88keysau Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2014
    Thanks Happy Chooks for the link - very interesting. She has been laying like this for a few weeks now, since we had a really hot day. We thought her odd laying behavior was due to heat stress but our Summer is so mild this year that can't be the reason.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by